Thursday, February 07, 2019

1969 Catherine's Letter -Feb.3


Monday, February 3, 1969

Dear Mother, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John and Mary,

Hi!  I was glad to get your letter, I mean post card today and to hear that you are still receiving the letters I send from this end.

I had a great birthday and thanks for all you did.  The radio has been going almost constantly – at least constantly when I'm in the room.  It's nice to have music other than the clacking of the typewriter.  The slacks are comfortable and they fit, too!  I lived in them all weekend.  I needed the blouses badly – they've both been through the wash already.  Unfortunately I didn't grab them out of the dryer soon enough so they had to be ironed though.  The slip will have to be shortened (or maybe I could save it to wear with my long formal sometime) but I congratulate you on your selections.  Everything is much appreciated.  Gerti and I have been making dents in the cheese.  She has some crackers so we've been managing pretty well.

The tobogganing party at Bob's was canceled because the snow was only left in patches on Saturday but yesterday it came down again and it is still blowing today. Bob gave me a beautiful pair of black fur-lined gloves so I'll try to remember to send yours home.  Thanks very much for the use of them.  We went to his house for dinner Thursday and the weekend was really great, too.

However, it had to be followed by Monday morning.  Miss Russian (German prof) told us today that we have the distinction of being the worst prepared of any class she has ever taught anywhere and to make it worse we're supposed to be better than her other class.  It's really too bad because I'm not motivated to study German at all.  I'm not even overly excited about going to Germany anymore.  It just seems kind of dumb to spend time studying something that after I come back from Germany will have absolutely no value at all.  Tomorrow we're having a big exam – not exactly a mid term but it will cover everything we've had so far.  And then on Wednesday is our history midterm which I won't have much time to study for because of this stupid German.  Psych is boring but I manage to struggle through the text and put up with an hour a week of class.  The interviews have gotten to be really simple though so there's no problem there.

Thanks for the cake.  It arrived intact.  I think I'll save the check to help get me settled in Chicago or wherever I end up.

It was nice to have Sue here.  Wednesday night her friends (i.e. the guys who used to make up "the family") took us (Sue and I) to dinner at "The Dragon Inn" a Chinese restaurant.  There were eight of us and everybody ordered something different so we had quite a selection.  She left early Friday morning as she had to be back in school today.

I hope this week goes as fast as last week did.  I'm ready for another weekend!  Write soon!

Love,
Catherine

PS  The gloves will have to come singly; they don't both fit.

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album