Tuesday, February 26, 2019

1979 Roberta's Letter -February

 [undated, February 1979]

Dear Family,

Was good to talk to you all yesterday . . . I forgot to mention the 79º weather we are having.  Fredly called us yesterday after Church -- he seems to have come down with a cold and thought it was better for him not to go to the nursing home.  So we went down on the bikes to let Angus know what was happening.  Mary Va., I'll be keeping the orange one in shape while you are gone.

I am at Saguaro -- came over and had lunch with Marion, and am pecking away at the old typewriter in her office.  Have been studying GRE but a little of it goes a long way.  I don't look forward to the three hour coming up this Saturday in Tucson.  It won't be offered in Tempe until April -- since they can't make a decision on acceptance or not until test scores are out about 5 weeks after test) I wanted to take it now.  Test in April is also end of month.

Mary Va. you might be interested in knowing that the dishwasher over flooded again last night.  This time I was also downstairs.  It was quite something.

Oh, Charlene was not at Church yesterday.  What is her address and I'll send her your letter.  We are collecting your things, and will try to get them in the mail soon.  I'll be sending them by slow boat [what is 4th class?] – – so please don't hold your breath.

Mother, perhaps Mary Va. has told you than Marion has convinced me not to set up the sewing machine till after this Saturday.  It's true there is lots for me to study.

Did you get my letter in Israel??? We – as of yet – have not gotten any cards from you all while on your travels,

Oh, I called up the dept. of Recreation – this was while Mary was here – talked to the head man.  He remembered my name – from the application – in that I had gone to school in Florida and that I had done extensive travels.  I had lots of help from Marion in filling it out, it did sound good – if I say so myself.  Anyway, he strongly encouraged me to apply for an assistship – that there were lots available.

Monday evening – 8:15 – just got done studying for over an hour – will take about half hour rest – then study for my lst half hour of the day.

Bobbie & Dan (owners of the store) are leaving tomorrow night for San Francisco – his parents live there.  I'll be doing little extra while they are gone – just more paper work mostly.  Am now authorized to sign the checks – both payroll & C.O.D. orders – we sure get our share of those!

Tomorrow will sure be busy at work – Mondays are usually really busy – so this will ust throw everything on  to tomorrow.

OH!  Mary VA – we really didn't have Swenson's Ice Cream Saturday night – the night of your dance –

Did Dad make it to NYC today?  It was a beautiful day here!!!

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album