Saturday, February 23, 2019

1899 Letter to Lucie -Feb.21

Lucie Sarah Brown, born May 23, 1880, would have been 18 at the time of this letter when she was a (freshman?) student at West Virginia University.  This letter appears to be from a suitor (or only a good friend who wants to say good-bye?) who is pressuring her to fulfill her promise, though maybe that is a misinterpretation!  Lucie married Nathaniel Wallace Ballantyne on December 4, 1906, when she was 26 and he was 37.

New Cumberland
Feb. 21, 1899
Miss Lucie:
    My dear friend –

Many a time and oft in the bright and pleasant school-room my thoughts wander from the page in front of me, and stray far away.  Well this afternoon, fond recollections came to my mind, scenes of the past two years, remembrances of enjoyable occasions, I tell you of these, because you know thinking of them would naturally recall to my mind that sweetest of all names, Lucie.  The inevitable result of all this, is this epistle.  You are well aware that "the time has come for the parting," is rapidly approaching, and you also are aware that you promised me, you would surely come to Cumberland at that sacred time.  You will I am sure be kind and considerate enough to write me, and say that you have not changed your mind, but will fulfill your promise; do this I beseech you.

How did you keep warm this cold spell; I do not mean the times you were out sleigh riding for I well know, you would never suffer from the cold there.

Is Morgantown just as dear to you now as it ever was?

No doubt you are anxiously awaiting the arrival of that young and fine looking boy, who expects to leave Cumberland in a short time for Mor.

This is a b. . . town, if any one should ask you; and it keeps getting worse and worse.  I fervently thank the Lord, I have but a few more months to live here.

Just think of it, I nearly forgot to say something about Miss King.

She is just as sweet as ever and we were never better friends than we are now.  Talking about you the other day, she said, "she had not heard from you, for about  – months; but supposed I heard from you every other day."  Well, my dear girl, (Pardon me for using this expression but I cannot help it) please answer this immediately and by doing so you will be performing a good act.

Please read this, without criticizing the penmanship.

I am, and will continue to be, now and forever more

Your friend,
John B. Loekey [sp?]

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album