Wednesday, February 06, 2019

1949 Jean's Letter -Feb.4

$150 for the Doctor, and $41.50 for 9-10 days in the hospital.  

Friday
February 4, 1949
Dearest Mother and Daddy,

I will soon have been here a week – officially at 4:00 AM tomorrow morning but they keep you so busy it seems like only a couple of days.

We've received the card you addressed for Mr. & Mrs. Yount and many others – Cousin Maude, Janine [or Jeanne?], Mary & Bill, Miss Miller, Miss Grout (with notes added from 4 other librarians of East Cleve.), Mrs. McGonagle and others.  Then we both have been getting phone calls – Louise Gilmore, Jean Keil Walker, Mrs. McGonagle, Jeanne Campbell and others ––

Laura Uible called and suggested several doctors – one woman doctor very near us.  I told Dr. Weir and he called her this afternoon & she said she'd be out tomorrow morning to look at the baby.  She's not a pediatrician but I know that she's the same one that Norma Anderson (who lives across the hall from us with the 6 mo. old baby) goes to.

It's now Saturday evening & almost time for visitors (6:30-8:00).  I've felt so neglectful about not writing but the morning is spent with breakfast, feeding and then bathing – By that time, lunch is ready, then feeding time again, then rest period & we're supposed to spend two or three hours flat on our backs with the lamp reflector on our stitches.  Then 4:30 dinner & 5 the babies come in.  Tonight they were quite short-staffed so we were even later.

The doctor (pediatrician from West side ) didn't get in but no doubt will appear tomorrow.

My new roommate is awfully nice – she had a boy last Wednesday – already has a four year old girl so has given me many pointers on raising a child – good, practical advice.  It so happens that she lives on Henderson Road – not far from Mr. McGonagle.  She knows her by sight but not personally.

Some woman from the First Baptist Church called me this afternoon  – Dr. Phillips had told her I had a new baby.  Jeanne Campbell also called – I had asked her to buy me two nursing brassieres and  . . .

Catherine is gaining it seems & right now I think I'll be able to nurse her entirely as we never use the bottle they bring in.  The nurse says she's so sensitive – doesn't cry but whimpers unless she is handled just so-so.

Of course I'm anxious to get home to have a real family reunion.  Hope you'll get over to see us as soon as you can.

Love,
Jean, Harold and 
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album