Wednesday, September 19, 2018

1968 Catherine's Letter -Oct.4

October 4, 1968
Dear Mother, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John, and Mary,

Hi!  Gee, was I glad to get that box today.  Just this morning I reached into the closet to get out my umbrella and I realized it wasn't there – but it turned out the rain was all over anyway!  I was also glad to get the books.  I had been borrowing one of our suite mates German books and it was rather inconvenient.  I may not need the white shorts after all as the time of my badminton class has changed so that I can't take it unless I switch some other stuff around.

Yesterday, the box arrived from Sears.  I love my new coat -- haven't worn it yet even though it is freezing cold today.  The black skirt needed hemmed which I did promptly to get it over with.  The blue skirt is too big all over (even though it is the same size as the black one) so I am going to try to return it for a smaller size.

Most IMPORTANT : Last night there was a meeting for all sophomores interested in Career Service.  They told us about a bunch of jobs all over the US and some in South America.  We are each to go for an appointment with the directors of the Career Service office and they stressed the earlier the better.  So, this morning I went in and made an appointment for this afternoon.  There was a information sheet which we had to fill out and under type of job desired I put Nutritional or Food Oriented.  How do you like that?  Anyway, the guy said in all his years he had never had an info sheet like that!  So immediately he runs into this other guys office all excited about a discovery (?).  There is a job in Chelsey (sp?) Mass. (near Boston) in a Soldiers Home which wants someone interested in Food.  Swede (the Career Service man's nickname) thinks this is just the job for me.  But he said I shouldn't make up my mind yet but wait until before Christmas when the job lists come out to see if there is something else I might be more interested in.

Could you send me some pictures of myself -- I think there are some in the bottom drawer (I'm not sure about that) and as I remember they are in a shoe box.  Thanks.

Before classes started I put in 45 hours at Saga but now that has been drastically reduced to two hours a day in the Snack Bar plus special parties.  I have also been doing babysitting.  At the job I had the other night the kids couldn't get over my reading German -- I really had them fascinated, and I didn't have the slightest idea what I was saying myself!  I have a job both tonight and tomorrow night which limits the social life but at least I'll get some studying done!  My German class meets early tomorrow morning, too!  so far, I like German, we are having our first oral test Monday.  Physics is very difficult but I'm still struggling and Biology hasn't gotten into much yet.

Write soon and let me know how everything is.  Thanks for sending all the stuff.  Did the slide rule get lost?  I'm borrowing a guys who isn't taking the course so I don't have to have it.  Hope John had a good birthday.

Love,
Cathy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album