Saturday, September 29, 2018

1948 Jean's Letter -Jan.28

A partial letter with Jean at her most persuasive . . . .

1-28-48

. . . . I seriously don't believe we are rushing into things blindly by considering April.  The disadvantages seem to be piled much higher against June.

The Uibles wrote Harold that they planned to be back by the first part of April so that would fit with them alright and Mrs. Uible mentioned the fact that that time would be much better than later when there'd be so much confusion.

We can't possibly set a date that would be agreeable with all concerned but if we made things very simple in April, don't you think it would be best?

We'll both be wrecks in June if he's struggled through his exams and I've spent a hectic week of school visiting – both of us with other things on our minds.  Or do you suggest we wait until Christmas – that's a very long time.

We can't go ahead planning anything til we decide on the time.  I have thought about it all this past week since I talked to Miss Stromfors and wrote to you and in my mind April would be the best time.  I'd rather minimize the formalities and have everything as plain as possible.  Please reconsider everything and I hope you'll see it through that we have chosen the better time.  Would it be rushing you too much?

We had an awfully nice dinner Sunday evening with the Uibles and later played bridge.  They have 3 lovely children – Frank 13, Ann 8 and David 6.  They live just one street beyond Hessler – on Bellflower Road and have a very nice home with all the conveniences.  Their children go to private schools, love all sorts of good things – belong to Junior Literary Guild, have subscription to Record of the Month – music for children & quite good.  Mrs. Uible is full of fun and seems to get so much enjoyment out of her children.

It is getting late & I'll not rehash my thoughts all over again but please reconsider for honestly – it seems the best thing to me – and I don't want to be selfish or disturb Bob and Harriette's trip or your plans.  Just give it a few more minutes of your time – in the meantime I'll be very anxiously awaiting your letter. 

All my very best love, 
Jean

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album