Monday, September 24, 2018

1947 Jean's Letter -Dec.



[beginning of this letter either was not saved or is still hiding in the archives.]

[no date but apparently was written before Dec. 11, 1947]

. . . . so little respect for the library or librarians.  I haven't talked to her yet but hear she plans to keep on working – she's just taking the 19th through the 25th off.  They aren't (the library) isn't going to have things that easy with me – but time will tell.

As far as I know, I will be given a ring for my birthday but that's as far as things are planned so far.  I hate to think of waiting a year and a half – until June 1949 yet this June is so close.  Harold's longest vacations now are – the two weeks each year he is given at Christmas – all others are just about one week.  We don't have to decide on that right away though.

In case you are still interested, I've been looking at Sterling silver and think I like Wallace's Stradivari the best – it's not too plain yet not too much and is beautiful from all angles – side, front and back.  Yet it's different from other patterns too.  

You didn't mention other packages coming to St Petersburg but I hope you'll remember to watch how they are addressed – any in my name are likely to be your gifts.

I haven't bought Harold anything yet for I can't think of a thing he needs – both he and Daddy are awfully hard to buy for.  I've sent away for salt & pepper shakers for Virginia so hope they arrive in time.

I'm writing this on the street car so its no wonder its so illegible.  I called Bobbie up & talked to her about her plans – she doesn't sound overly enthusiastic – of course she doesn't have too much time.  She's to be married at home – Leroy, N.Y. & her mother & father are in Florida – no doubt St. Pete.  She plans to work until summer anyway.

Yesterday we had roast lamb, brown potatoes & carrots, gravy, ice cream with a butterscotch sauce – made from – 1 can of Bordens milk boiled in water for 3 hours – very very delicious though quite rich.

I got up early & went to Main Library this morning (7:30) to type up reviews of 5 new books I'd had out for 4 months.  This Grant set last Sat. as a dead line & I didn't make that so wanted to get them in as early as possible this morning.  

I bought a new black skirt, very long – faile – $6.50 and a pair of shoes which I know you'll question when you see the heels but it's really the high platform.  Otherwise they aren't so high.  Black calf.  17.50 [see diagram about half way down right side of the top page]  I wore them to the Western Reserve Law School dance Friday night which was big success – informal – still need to catch up on my sleep.

Last night went to see "Song of Love" –story of Robert & Clara Schumann [1947 movie starring Katherine Hepburn] very good – music excellent.

Yesterday went to Twilight Concert at Severance which also had wonderful music.

All my very best love,
Jean

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album