Friday, September 28, 2018

1948 Jean's Letter -Jan.21

Wednesday –
Jan. 21, 1948
Dearest Mother and Daddy –

This is just a note  to surprise you, I hope – if it reaches you very soon – to let you know that I heard when I got to the library tonight that we are receiving a $300 raise.  It couldn't come in any handier or at a better time.  We heard about 3 weeks ago that Cleveland was to get this much – and thought we'd have to be happy with perhaps the $120 annual increment.  So this really was a very pleasant surprise.  Ellen got even a higher raise because they (Cleveland Public Library) gave extra raises according to the size library you are in – her raise is $540 but I don't begrudge her a penny just as long as I can hold on to a little bit of that three hundred.

Since November the bank has been taking $18.75 of my account for a bond for me and send it about the end of each month.  It seems much easier to save this way trying to put that much away out of each check.

Harold is going to work three afternoons at the Law School Library each week beginning the first of February.  He says that he's allowed to study during that time too.

I forgot to mention that when I talked to Virginia I mentioned the possibility of going to Pittsburgh the 7th of February if they do not have anything planned.  I've asked for Saturday 1/2 day and it's between semesters & therefor a good time for Harold to go.

Jeanne is calling her mother now since its been over a week since she's heard from her so perhaps she will have some news of New Cumberland.  Jeanne just told me that Rosemary and the baby are going to England this spring for a month.  They have their passports now.

Ruth is quite busy now as she has a final examination Saturday morning and that same afternoon she has to take a comprehensive exam on all her art work and courses in order to receive her Masters this February.

By the way Harold will have exams the 4th (Graduation Day) and after so he & the others will not receive their A.B. degrees until June.  They (faculty) just aren't taking any chances.

I did mention that I had left my pearls in St. Petersburg didn't I?  Also the little black book.  I'd truly appreciate it if you could mail them up.

I bought a new hat this afternoon as I felt I just couldn't get along the rest of the winter without one!  It's black with gold trim – not too good with my new red coat but should be OK with Your Persian Lamb.  Harold's cousins, the Mr. & Mrs. Frank Uibles have invited us for dinner this coming Sunday.  Mr. Uible is a lawyer and teaches a course a year at Law school.  His wife also is a member of the Bar.  They have three children – about 13-9-7 boy-girl-boy – all in private schools in the city.

Did I tell you Mrs. McGonagle and Doris came in the library last Thurs. night?  Yes – I guess I did – she went on about how terrible Morrow Davis seems.  I had a note from Cousin Mary thanking me for the renewal of McCall's  & the two hankies I sent – of course she never mentioned Morrow.

Hope you have received and answered my other letters written today by the time you read this.

All my best love,
Jean

Hope I'm not spoiling you with a letter so soon – I doubt if this will keep up.

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album