Monday, September 17, 2018

1968 Catherine's Letter -Sep.30

September 30, 1968
Hi, Mom, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John, and Mary,

Greetings!  I made it through registration!  And wait until you hear what I am taking.  I went to register at 10:30 this morning.  Upperclassmen started registering at 8:30 but seeing as my name is closer to the end of the alphabet I got placed in the last group.  I figured I could rush over to the physics dept. and have my paper signed because I am dropping physics and then rush to some other dept. before Dr. Wright (who is a very persuasive person) had time to talk me into changing my mind.  As soon as I walked in the door of the gym he rushed up and says "I've been looking for you."  Well, I'm signed up for physics, biology, and German.  It's going to be a fun quarter !?!  This will complete my physics sequence and then all I need is about four quarters of chemistry and biology and I have an Interdepartmental major.

Carole got in last night and our suite-mates, Linda and Liz are both here.  We now have a lamp in the room, a rug on the floor, two bath mats, one rug in the bathroom, a collection of kleenex boxes, soap, toothpaste, etc.  Linda and Liz have a stereo which I know was still going when I went to sleep last night (or this morning) about 12:30.

I bought a new pedal (72¢) for my bicycle.  I took it to my friend Mr. VanRyan at the gas station to fix it.  Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you that when I went to unlock the bike the lock was so rusty (?) even the maintenance man couldn't get the key to turn the right direction.  He finally took his pinchers or something and opened one of the chain links.  Back to the gas station, after greasing it, heating it, and breaking a wrench trying to get the old part of the pedal off, they finally ended up sawing part of it off and then removing the rest with a pipe wrench.  He also put some rubber tubing type stuff on the right pedal, oiled the chain, raised the seat – just like a brand new bicycle.

There are a few things I need.  No. 1 is my old physics book and my slide rule which I think are in the basement in a box, I hope!  The physics book, as I remember, had a turquoise paper cover, and had Physics 10 written on the front.  It has stuff about magnetism and light on the inside.  Good luck.  I need them soon -- the sooner the better.  Some other kid who dropped the course is loaning me his books in the meantime.  Also don't forget the German book -- it's black -- and the bike lock (4,34,12).

My classes are all in the morning except for badminton which meets Tuesday and Thursday afternoons at 2.  You might also send my white shorts which I think are in the bottom drawer of the dresser in Mary's room.

My glasses came Saturday.  I haven't tried them yet so I don't know if they work any better or not.  Wait until you hear what I also found yesterday.  Do you remember the contact I lost last Easter.  Well, it seems that when the freshmen were moving in, one girl's mother was going through my old drawers (which an upperclassman used during the summer) and she found the contact.  She gave it to her daughter, who gave it to her counselor who passed it on to Mrs. M.  Eventually, however, I did get it.  So, I now have an extra left contact lens.

Classes start early tomorrow morning -- like 8:00 German, 9:00 Biology, and 11:00 physics.  Ordinarily they won't meet on Tuesday but all classes meet tomorrow regardless.  I'll be letting you know how everything goes!

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album