Wednesday, September 26, 2018

1948 Jean's Letter -Jan.15

[Written on both sides of very thin paper, this letter is difficult to read on the original and the scanned version. . . .]
Thursday –
Jan. 15, 1948
Dearest Mother and Daddy,

I received your long letter yesterday and appreciate all the suggestions that you made.

And yes, before I forget, I have missed my jacket – and also the little black book which Mr. Ord Lough gave me.  It was in the top left hand drawer with Daddy's book shortly before I left.  In the hurry I guess I forgot both.

I did forget to to include Miss Crane's name – or  perhaps felt it would be so far for her to come.  We would both like to have her though if it's possible for her to make it.  Would we have to take care of all these people at our house the night before, though?

I like the idea of having the wedding at 11:30 if the out of towners could make it by that time.

Harold has a very good friend in New Vienna who plays the piano & would like him to come & play if possible.  I just want Jane to sing.  Elloise's voice isn't that outstanding.  I don't have to have Mrs. Hurley or anyone else, do I?

I think Lynn [Zook] will be Harold's best man for we are sure that he can be there and besides he is a very close friend & we'd like to have him.  He is working on his Master's in Psychology and then is going to get his doctor's degree.  We helped him last Friday night by taking three of his tests. [?]  His father is a Friends Minister in Garfield Heights – one of the suburbs.  Lynn is part time janitor and also a Fuller Brush Salesman during the week.  So he's kept quite busy.

In case Harold's friend can't come from New Vienna to play – surely Mary Eve or Ellen or someone could do that.  I know our piano is in bad shape.  Would it cost too much to rent a little organ – one of those console types?

Would it be proper to use Sarah and/or Mary Ellen even though I wear just a street-length dress:  I'd love to have them in it fut feel it would be rather unusual to have children in such an informal wedding.

I would rather not have included the Younts before some other people at home but felt you would feel we should have them.

It has been very cold here – was one below last night and to get coler again tomorrow.  How I wish I were in Florida now!

Thanks for sending the oranges and I'll appreciate it if you send some to the library – 1481 Hayden Ave. when the real good ones come in.

I bet it's hard to read when this paper is so thin – I snitched it from the library and am finishing it on library time.

Tomorrow night all of us here at North are going up to Miss Stromfers [?] for a pot luck supper.  I'm to bring rolls and butter so get off easy in the cooking line.

Will write again soon but wanted to get this off to you tonight.

All my love ––
Jean

P.S. I still prefer home to church – simpler to decorate – more intimate, but of course – more work for you – I hope not.

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album