Wednesday, January 07, 2015

1985 Catherine's Letter -Jan.7

January 7, 1985

Dear Mother & Dad,

Hi!  Thought I'd get a letter off to you before you leave for the warmer climate.  We have been having a cold spell here so I envy you.  There is alot of snow and ice which has made walking especially treacherous.  Moscow had about 8" more snow than Colfax so it is piled up all over town there.  Should we have a sudden warm spell they should probably have flooding problems.  At least the library sits on fairly high ground.

We are back into our regular routines now after long weekends and no school.  Wendy has a day off from school on Monday, January 21 so that is nice that it coincides with my day off.  I will get a comp day in February as the library will be closed on Presidents Day.

We got our VCR last week (you can tell Grandma for me, I told her in our thank you note that we planned to get one).  It is a Penny's.  We have borrowed some movies from the local video store as well as from the library.  Today I got Sleeping Beauty and a Smurf movie at the library.

Our tenants in Madras informed us that they are moving out the end of this month.  We had two other couples call us, one of which wants the lease-purchase option.  He works for John Deere so Gerry knew him.  I think we are going to have one of our friends in Madras handle the transition of tenants so we don't have to make at trip down there at this time of year.  We are thinking of going back to visit in May or June.

We appreciated your letter which came last week.  With the holidays plus Christmas cards I'm sure it's been awhile since I last wrote.

The motor burned out on our washing machine yesterday so I took the rest of our clothes to the laundramatte this morning after my exercise class.  We think we will buy a new washer since this one we bought used from the lady who sold us our house in Madras.  We will probably wait until spring or until we move (whichever comes first) as the hook-up here is on the unheated back porch and I don't think all that cold would help.  At least our drier is still working fine.

April sounds fine for you to come and visit us.  The weather is bound to be warmer by then anyway!  We haven't heard anymore from Gerry's folks so don't know if they are still planning to come and visit us this month or not.

I did booktalks at one of the elementary schools in Moscow last week going to K-5th grades.  I got lots of requests on the books I reviewed so guess I did OK.  I reviewed two books by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, The Headless Cupid and The Famous Stanley Kidnapping Plan, A Smart Kid Like You by Pevsner, Man in the Woods by Rosemary Wells, Diary of a Frantic Kid Sister by Colman, Dark Horse by Doty; and for the younger grades I did Freckle Juice by Blume, I Was a 2nd Grade Werewolf by Pinkwater, and Hound and Bear by Gackenbach.  I've got two more elementary schools to do yet this month and another lady from the library is doing the remaining two schools.

Have a nice stay in Florida.  Tell Roberta, Grandma, and the Hortons hello for us.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album