Thursday, January 08, 2015

1975 Roberta's Letter -Jan.8

January 8, 1975
Dear Family,

Hi!  Wanted to at least write you all a note - saying thanks for the pills and the [audio] tape!  I too was shocked on how Bob Gooding didn't really have all that much to say.

School started on Monday - as planned!  Statistics is as bad as I thought it would be.  I need a tutor now - but @ $10.00 an hour - the price through the school - I've been trying to figure out some stuff on my own!!

Between statistics & my science course this quarter by March I'll really have a deflated (sp?) ego!  I hate these courses that make you feel dumb!

Today I met w/ this woman selling life insurance – Fidelity Union Life.  If I "joined" up now and paid $32 a month till I'm 43 (20 years) then when I'm 58 I would get $13,546.00 – or if I wait till I'm 65 I'd get $17,864.00.  She really had me confused talking about all those numbers.

This Insurance Comp. has a special deal for college graduates (soon to be) – because as a group we are supposed to live longer, buy at an earlier age, etc.

I really don't like the idea of life insurance – you either have to die – and then someone else gets the $ – or you have to wait till you are old to get it!  I don't think I'm going to worry about it – if I die – let the state pay for it!

I've just about finished my Christmas shopping – for 1974!  I got Catherine's & Serena's in the mail yesterday – and John's & X's are ready to be mailed.

I ate at Lums tonight you know they are owned by the same company that owns Ranch House.  They have alot of stuff we have – except we have a bigger menu.  I had a chopped steak (8oz) w/ a salad & cole slaw for $2.25 – we have the same thing for the same price. (Ours is better – HA!)

It's now 9:15 PM – just got home from school – home early as class (statistics) is suppose to last from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.  I think our class is driving our prof. crazy.  The class is taught by a man & woman.  We had the man for the 1st time tonight.  We were going over Chebyshev's theory & all about statistical deviation.   These 2 boys kept asking ?'s – finally the man (prof) just threw up his hands & told us all to go home!  I sure didn't know what was going on either – but I wasn't about to answer ASK any ?'s.

G'ma is listening to your latest tape – right now Ted West is talking.  The article in WNJ on him was very interesting.

I'm already getting alot of good use out of my calculator.  It's a real time saver (and paper saver) when it comes to dividing & multiplying big numbers – also nice in doing square roots.

Thanks again for all the tapes & for sending the pills.  So far the desired effects (affects) aren't happening – but I haven't been taking them all regularly – but now I'm going to try to.

J.B. –– when is your vacation over?

Love, Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album