Monday, September 09, 2013

1973 Hinerman Letter - Sep. 5

Letter from former New Cumberland resident and friend, Sarah Shoup Hinerman 1902-1979, written on a notecard decorated with an historical picture of The Capitol, Washington D.C. from the original etching by Don Swann. Transcription follows.

Wed. a.m.  9/5 [1973]

Dear Folks,

We really enjoyed your cards and looks like you "got around."  My doctor saves foreign stamps & was delighted with the one from Peru.

I'e had so many aches & pains this summer – you wouldn't believe!  I've had a pinched nerve which paralyzed my right hand – it's greatly improved (no pain) but is like it's frozen – hence this awful writing.  Then I had a bout with high blood pressure which he's getting under control (Dr. who saves stamps).  Now i am in the midst of ten radiation therapy (cobalt) treatments at the Ohio Valley Hosp.  I have a recurrent pain in left rib.  I get around tho' – going to Sistersville for lunch today with some girls (?).  When I get despondent & sort of "down and out-ish" I think of Harold's Mother and how chipper she is and it peps me up.  (Today is 5th trip for me.)

Isn't this a disgusting letter with "health report"?  I wanted you to know why I hadn't written.  Hope you'll write us all about your trips - Library in Maine looked so inviting.

Don't you ever get to Atlanta?  The K's love it there.  Thave have an 8 passenger "Bayliner" boat and enjoy it on Lake Lanier.  They bought a piano for Susan and she's thumping on it for dear life – starts to take lessons next week when her school starts.  Wish you all would come over – We would love it.  Our house is nice and cool and we just stay inside.  You all are "seasoned travelers" and please count a day for Glen Dale –

Love to all, Sarah & Chauncey

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album