Wednesday, August 21, 2019

1949 Jean's Letter to HH -June 22

Wednesday --
June 22, 1949
Dearest Snicklefritz,

Today has been cool compared to the last few days and we have often been wondering where "our wandering boy is tonight."  No doubt you got back to Columbus in better time than your previous departure from here.

Catherine has been put to bed for the 3rd time tonight.  I don't know what her trouble is.  The sight of her crib seems to give her renewed energy but after she's up she's soon tired.

Mr. & Mrs. R.N. Cochran (Jane's mother & father) stopped tonight and so ended my letter writing for Wednesday.

Again I'm attempting to write -- after receiving your postal this morning.  Today has been a steady stream of company.  Right after I gave Katie her bath & put her to bed for the morning, Bob Walmer arrived -- from Camp Lee -- he had deposited his family up at Grahams for bed (they drove all night -- too hot to sleep in Washington).  He stayed til noon and just after he pulled out, Bob drove in with Roger and Blaine & Dick Cochran.  They hadn't eaten so prepared lunch for them (4 hungry males)!  As soon as Mother came I rushed upstairs to dress as 2 girls I was in high school with came at 1:00.  Before they left Mary Margaret Graham Walmer & her niece arrived.  Catherine became fussy before they left (about 4:00) so I took her for a ride in her carriage & ran an errand for Mother at the same time.  By that time, everyone wanted dinner -- so now Bob's gone back to PGH with Roger.  Dick & Blaine are staying here tonight.

Mr. Ranney only stayed Tuesday night as Mrs. Peckenstein [?] called yesterday to say her roomer never came so I moved him up last night.

Faye Fickes Rosso gave me a surprise yesterday when she said, "I hear Jeanne Campbell is getting married!"  Later when I took Mrs. Ranney up I stopped in to see her (Mrs. Campbell) & she just laughed at the idea.  Faye said Mrs. Trimble had told her so I took it for so much gossip coming from that source.

Sharon, who lives next door to Cousin Maude came over to see Catherine when I had her on her parket [walk?] yesterday.  She (Sharon) told her mother she wanted to take her home.  I insisted on something in exchange so at last an idea came to her.  She jumped down & picked up a little gray baby kitten that was still nursing & dumped it in my lap.  Think you'd be interested in making a trade with her?

Am sending Mary & Bill an anniversary card -- hope you won't mind too much.

Everyone & me especially is confident that you'll just buzz right through the Bar and make a very successful attorney.  Catherine & I are anxiously awaiting your return from the strenuous tasks ahead.  Be assured we have the utmost confidence in our great big handsome hunk of Honeybunch (the honey-est bunch of handsomeness on earth!)

All of our very best love,
Jean and Catherine
xxx ---- Katy

P.S,  Doc Fisher has added burden now -- the support of a grandson coming to David & Myrtle -- wed last Apr.
P.P.S.  Cousin Maude passes & says "hello"

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album