Saturday, November 21, 2020

1970 Roberta's Letter -Nov.26


Nov. 26, 1970
Dear Family,

Watching movie OKLAHOMA on T.V. -- first time in months I've watched TV.

Nice to talk to you all -- at least part of you this morning.  After I spoke to you we got ready and went to Church.  A Lutheran Church where the Hawks belong.

Then after church we ate our turkey & everything else then we left for a 'ride'.  We saw Snoqualamie Falls!  It is 110 feet taller than Niagara Falls.  At least that is what the sign said.  Did I see that 8 years ago?  We all drove all over around in the mountains where it was snowing alot & really sticking.  The mountains were very pretty, but we couldn't go far into the mountains because of all he snow.  But we did see an awfully lot.

Then we drove all around through Bellview, North Bend -- (Mother -- does that sound familiar?) & alot of others.  We came through Seattle then on the freeway (#5-Interstate).  We saw the space needle from the World's Fair.  Even saw the 'dealie' coming down from the top of it.

While driving in the mountains we saw a big Weyerhaeuser paper plant or whatever they are called.  It was near North Bend.  (I THINK!)
 

The Hawks actually live in Steilacoom, Washington -- but it is very near to Tacoma.  We took the train into Tacoma.  You wouldn't have believed the train!  It was so full!!  Pam said it usually only has about 10 people on it.

There was almost a whole boys academy on the train.  They were the whole trip yelling, whistling & fighting  Of course they sat right across from us.  They had the Conductor there half the time and then finally a man dressed in a big suit finally had to come & talk to them.  He too, worked for the railroad.  (I imagine.)

Then there were about  20  blind people also in our car.  The trip really went fast -- but I'm not sure if I'd like to go to OHIO by train though!!  

In Steilacoom there is the state mental hospital plus a federal prison.  You can see the prison outside of the Hawks living room window.  It is  3  miles away -- at night especially you can see all the lights.

But right about a block from their house is a big body of water.  You can see it all from their living room window also.

Now -- for the big news from school.  I hope you all are sitting down!  I've actually got a 'strong B+' in English.  I went to speak to my teacher yesterday morning about my term paper, and I asked her about it.  She also said she appreciated my 'always' being in class & 'always' handing in my papers & work on time.  Now, how about that?

When we go back to school we will be signing up for winter term.  I will be taking the same classes.  I will be taking a course in 'Deviant Behavior' instead of Principles of Sociology -- it was just a course to last this term.  I also hope to do pretty good this term in Sociology.  But about half of our grade will be decided by a term paper we have due this coming Thursday.  I, of course, hope to get a good grade on the paper.  

Was sure sorry that I missed talking to Daddy & Mary Virginia & Catherine today.

Will probably get my plane ticket this next Friday.  Judy has told me she will take me to the airport to get my ticket and also the 17th of December.  I'm very glad that I have got my reservation made.  I told you about the boy from OHIO that is having to go to Seattle first and then stopping once other than in Chicago.

It rained all day today.  (As usual.)

The Hawks used to live in Toledo, Ohio -- till about six years ago.  Pam's mother went to the Univ. of Toledo.

I appreciate the stamps you all sent.  I was keeping broke buying them every-day.

Will Catherine be gong some place over Christmas or will she actually be home?

My cold is alot better than say -- about a week to two weeks ago.  Then I couldn't even talk -- just cough & choke.  The doctor suggested me to take 'Good Vitamin C' tablet 2 a day.  He gave me a bunch of free ones.  But they cost $18.00 for 500 of them.  He thought it might help me keep from getting colds -- maybe even getting over the one I got now.  Monday when I get back I plan to go see the nurse about some free Vitamin 'C's'.  The Vitamin 'C's' -- you can chew.  They are not quite as bad as taking regular pills.

Well, I better go.  I don't know what we will be doing tomorrow.  Saturday we will be going up in the Mountains.  I hope it is nice & clear so I can take some pictures.

Don't worry about my COLD -- its not too bad now.  Even when it was worse I made it to all my classes, etc.

Better go.  This sure is rough on me  -- 4 days before I will get my mail.  HA!

Hope you all are fine.

Love, Bert

Dad (& all) look up in Mobil Travel Guide -- Northwest & Great Plains states edition (1968 edition)
p.239 - North Bend -- we saw the ski area.
p.243 - where we are going Saturday -- Port Angeles.  It is headquarters for Olympic National Park.  
We 'SAW' Mount Rainier today.  May go to Seattle tomorrow on bus!

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album