Sunday, November 01, 2020

1970 Catherine's Letter -Nov.6

 

[postmarked Nov 6 1970]

Dear Mom, Dad, Serena, John, Mary,

Hi!  I was glad to get a card from you yesterday.  Sorry you won't be coming for Dad's Day.  If you change your plans, I'll be here.  There have been some signs up around here about it but I'm sure you have more details than I do -- I don't even know what the program is.

I finally got some news on my bike.  Sarah Hay (she's the one who called you, too) called and said she had ridden it over to the house where she's living this quarter, locked it behind the house and when she came back out it was gone.  In the meantime she has been looking for it and although it seems to have been totally removed from the Kalamazoo scene, she now has an old 10-speed which a guy is fixing up for me.

I am enclosing the map to where you can pick us up on Thanksgiving if you can.  As I understand it is somewhere around the G in Kettering.  Plans are to leave here about 6 AM on Thursday so you can estimate about what time we'll get there.  Rena said we would stop about an hour before to call you -- that way we all should arrive at the same time.  Dad, I think you met Rena.  This is her son and his family.

Could you see if you can get us both optometrist appointments?  I haven't had my contacts checked in two years so they probably need polishing.  Dick hasn't had his eyes checked for a long time either.  If Dr. Hause is going to be around I could probably use a dentist appointment, too.  Either Friday or Saturday for either one.

I am now registered for my SIP [Senior Independent Project] next quarter and the two classes spring quarter.  I have now narrowed my SIP down to a translation of Gunther Eich who has been writing radio plays since about 1950.  Two or three have already been translated so all I have to do is decide on which one of the others I want to do.  My advisor, Dr. Fugate, has been really helpful.  I'm glad I'll be around here next quarter for further help though.  If possible I'd like to get it wrapped up early.  Comps loom up bigger every day and studying can't hurt.

Dick is writing a thesis on the theory of imagination.  He has been doing lots of bibliography work and preliminary reading.  It is hard because sometimes it is nice to get the work for three classes done and then relax -- but instead we go around digging ourselves up more work to do.  At least with an SIP it is something of our own choosing.

I think Mrs. Hall will be coming back to Kalamazoo this winter since we will be here and she wouldn't have to live alone.  I don't know what happens in the spring when we come back here though.  At least our connections with the college will be loose enough to give us some freedom this winter.  We're hoping maybe to spend some time up on Lake Huron -- even if it frozen, I wouldn't mind a change of scenery and atmosphere.  We might even get to New Vienna some time.

I will wait to hear from you if you can pick us up on the 26th.  I also hope the map is understandable.

Love,
Catherine & Dick


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album