Tuesday, November 24, 2020

1970 Roberta's Letter -Nov.30

 

Nov. 30, 1970

Dear Family,

Hi!  Got a post-card from Dad today.  Thanks.

Got back last night about 6:00 P.M. from a very nice & busy Thanksgiving.  The Hawks went way out of their way to see that I had a good time.  I hope you all got my postcards that I sent.

Yesterday, after church we started back for school but we drove around -- didn't come straight here.  Saw the Capitol building and alot of other things in Olympia.

If you did try to call their house to speak to me I doubt if we were there.  And that goes for almost anytime.

Right now it is snowing and also raining.  It has been terribly foggy out.  In fact the Portland Air-port had no flights coming in or out yesterday.  The first flight landed sometime last night but it was still awfully foggy.

Alot of the students that did fly are either just getting in or aren't in yet.

I had a Thanksgiving card today from Arlene Curtis.  How are all the women down at the shop?  Has three been a reduction in force down at the shop?  Out here the unemployment is worse than anywhere.  (I think.)  In fact Pam's dad has been laid off -- he had worked for Boeing.  (That is where he got laid off.)  He is now working for a place in Tacoma that is making all of the steel like structures that will be used for the Florida Disneyland Deal.  I know all about it now.  They are sent to Florida by railroad.  Pam's mother works in a hospital as a ward clerk in the emergency room.  She had alot of stories to tell us of all the different people that come in there.  Her # one complaint was about the welfare people that come in an ambulance because of a stubbed toe and his hospital call alone costs the state $23.00.

Washington state is fine.  Everything but the 5% tax!  I wasn't used to having to figure up that!  Ohio tax isn't as bad as the Washington tax.

I have been very busy today and will probably be very busy till the 18th.  I'm in the middle of signing up for winter term.  I will be taking U.S. History, English, Bible as carry over courses or whatever they are called.  I will also be taking Deviant Behavior and another course that I'm not sure about yet.

All that I want to take I can't because of schedule conflicts.  I have an appointment Wednesday to fix & finish my schedule.  I'm going to get this one right because I'm sure not going to pay them again for changing.  

This school is money hungry!  I have to pay the school $10.00 because of my leaving early.  $5.00 per test that I have to take early.  Wow!!

I also had a letter from Grandma today that she wrote me on her way to Florida.

Enclosed you will find a 'thing' for Newsweek.  I owe them $6.00.  I would deeply appreciate it if you will send them $6.00 for me.  I would but I don't have a checking account and I don't want to mail $6 in green money through the mail.  Also I haven't got $6.00 extra right now.  You can call it a Christmas present.

Also got a letter from Mary Riley today.  Remember the girl who lived where Prista used to live.  The one who we took skating and broke her arm there.  Anyway she sent me a Christmas card and also a three-page letter.  Wow!  I was almost in a state of shock!  She is now living in England.  You know -- across the Atlantic !  WOW!

Well, I will close for now.  I'll write more later in the week or when I hear from you all.  Let me know if you want any more "We Try Harder" buttons.  I haven't cashed my check yet for the plane fare.

It's now almost 7:00 p.m. and my room-mate isn't back yet.  She did call yesterday to say that she wouldn't be in last night.  I'd like to get someone for her to room with after Chritmas.  I'm not interested in a private room because I would have to change dorms and I like all the other girls on my floor.

Love,
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album