Tuesday, August 22, 2017

1977 Catherine's Letter - Sep.2


September 2, 1977
Friday morning
Dear Mom, Dad, and Mary Virginia,

hi!  We received your letter of 8-29 yesterday.  Sounds like you had a good trip to New Cumberland, Mother, and I'm sure you are all busy with school having started.  Glad to hear that Dad and Mary Virginia survived the trial run as Gerry and I are definitely planning on you coming out, Mom, later this month.

I went to the Dr. again yesterday.  About all he had to say was that the baby is getting bigger and it would be at least a week - most likely several weeks before labor begins.  Next Tuesday we have our last Childbirth Class so we should be all set.  We did hear an interesting quote from a former member of the class that La Maze worked for the first nine months but not for the last nine hours.  Time will tell how well it works for us.

Gerry's folks arrived on schedule and we have had a full week.  Tuesday DeeDee and I took them to the zoo.  Wednesday we sent them on a bus tour of Universal Studios, yesterday Gerry took the day off from work and we went to Tijuana.  Then last night we went out to dinner at the Islands Restaurant at the Hanalei Hotel - a real atmospheric place with waterfalls etc. around the restaurant.  Roberta will remember it as the place where we had buffet dinner last Thanksgiving.  I wasn't able to eat too much - it seems that as the baby gets bigger my stomach is shrinking.  I also have had heartburn during the last few weeks which I have never had before.  I had gained another 1/2 pound when I went to the Dr. yesterday which brings my total to 14 1/2 - at least I won't be too far from my anticipated gain which was 15.

Glad to hear that Serena has gotten a job at the KC Library.  I would be interested in hearing what type of work she is doing.  I wrote her a letter last week but I am not holding my breath in expectation of hearing back from her.

Thanks for sending that letter from Priscilla Walker.  I was glad to get her address as I have not had it since she left Happy Hours or whatever that place was in Wilmington.

Later this morning we are all going to El Cajon to meet Gerry for lunch and then do some shopping at Parkway Plaza.  Gerry's folks are also going to see if they can change their tickets and possibly stay through the end of next week instead of leaving Monday for Maine.  I think we have convinced them that while they are here they might as well stay as long as they can.

DeeDee starts to school on September 12.  We are not sure if she will be moving back home this weekend or the next weekend.  She does not seem especially glad or sad about going back to school.

Well, I better get this off in the mail and get myself ready to go to El Cajon.  Hope to hear more of your plans soon.

Love,
Catherine & Gerry

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album