Monday, August 21, 2017

1977 Catherine's Letter -Aug.29


Monday morning
August 29, 1977
Dear Mom, Dad, and Mary Virginia,

Hi!  Thanks for your letter of 8-23 which we received on 8-26.  We are very glad to hear that you are coming out, Mother.  And your plan to come with Roberta and Grandma sounds like a good one.  Perhaps as the date gets closer the Dr. will be able to tell us how accurate Sept. 16 is for the due date.  Last week he said that he can tell once the cervix starts to "thin out" it will be 1 1/2  to 2 weeks however it hasn't thinned out any yet.  I asked him how big he thought the baby would be (since I haven't gotten that big and haven't gained too much weight we sort of figured that meant a small baby) but the Dr. said that the baby already weighs over 6 1/2 pounds and would probably be between 7 1/2 and 8 at birth.  I go again this Thursday so will let you know if there is anything new.

Roberta was right about Gerry's folks arriving the end of this month.  They land in San Diego at 7:35 P.M. today and they leave next Monday (Labor Day).  I think perhaps I mentioned that in my last letter to you.  I have been busy this morning trying to make the place look presentable and doing the laundry.  Dee Dee will be staying with us until the middle of next week as her school starts on Sept. 8.

I have been doing some bike riding lately – Gerry and I both went for a ride yesterday while DeeDee went to visit her Mother.  I figure the exercise is good for me as long as I don't over do it and I try to be extra careful so I don't fall off or anything. Gerry has also started jogging in hopes of losing the weight he has put on since he quit smoking.  I had ordered him a warm-up suit which was on sale in the Sears catalog so he looks like the real athlete.

We also picked up all the baby things I had ordered from Sears – diapers, undershirts, nightgowns, rubber pants, diaper pail, bath tub.  And we got DeeDee some new clothes for school at Sears also.  So Sears got the major portion of the money we spent last week.

What's new on the Horton front?  I understand Joe will be back in the U.S. around September 12.  Will he be coming to New Vienna – I gather his folks are planning to be in NV around then.  All he mentioned in his last letter to us was that he wouldn't be coming out to the west coast this trip.

We will also be interested in hearing the more definite itinerary for Roberta and Grandma.  When do Roberta and John get home - right around Labor Day?  Then I suppose John has to be in school shortly after that.

We'll be anxious to hear more from any or all of you!

Love,
Catherine & Gerry

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album