Thursday, September 02, 2021

1981 Catherine's Letter -Sep.7

 

Monday, September 7, 1981 - LABOR DAY

Dear Mother, Dad, and Mary,

Hi!  How was your Labor Day weekend?  We didn't do too much.  Both Saturday and today we worked at the Elks although only about half of today.  Yesterday we went rafting -- our usual trip from Warm Springs to Trout Creek.  We went with a guy who works at the Co-op and some of his friends. He had just got a new raft and was anxious to try it out.  It was a good trip.  We are keeping our fingers crossed that the weather will be good the weekend you are here so we can go rafting then.

I also worked at the library on Saturday from 1:00 to 2:00.  Betty wanted to go to the State Fair in Salem and said she would appreciate getting off an hour early.  I took Wendy with me and it was while Gerry was working at the Elks so it didn't interrupt any of our plans.  Now in return she will work an hour for me on September 25th when I am going to a LOCO (Libraries of Central Oregon) meeting in Hood River.  That way Debbie will be able to go to lunch.  How do you like the article on me?  I hope Dad is not offended by my referring to him as a "library fanatic".  I thought the article came out pretty well.  I was afraid it would make me sound really dumb and look ugly besides!  I have gotten quite a few nice comments on it, especially from people who didn't know about my ambitions until recently.

We are looking forward to seeing Roberta & Grandma on Sunday.  Sorry that they won't be here longer and that Gerry and I are unable to get time off from work.  But at least we will be able to see them.  And they'll be able to see more of Wendy.

The library board meeting went fine last week.  Mostly they discussed the Open House they want to have on September 22nd and also a luncheon on September 24th for all the old board members and new as well as for the retiring librarian & asst.  They are having it at one of the board member's house at 1:00 so I will be able to come after Debbie gets back from lunch.  The Open House will be at the library of course from 11:00 to 3:00 which seems like strange hours but that is what they decided.  Everybody is going to bring cookies.  The two things I had to bring up were that they should charge people who get things through Interlibrary Loan the postage one-way which they approved.  And I asked if the AAUW reading group (of which I am a member) could have meetings at the library once a month.  They had never discussed this before but finally decided to try it.  They were afraid lots of other groups would want to use it also but since the space is so limited I don't think they will have to worry about that.

Wendy did fine in readjusting to the Day Care Center.  Her present teacher decided to keep her for a few more weeks before advancing her to the four-year-old class.  Some of Wendy's friends have already moved up last week and the rest will be going before the end of the month.

Gerry talked to his sister, Debbie, last night.  She is planning to get married in November to a guy who is re-enlisting in the service and may possibly be stationed in Washington.  It would be nice as we would be able to see more of her if that is the case.  At any rate, we think it would be good for her to see some of the rest of the world besides Sanford.  She did come out to see us the first year we were in San Diego.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album