Friday, September 24, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -Sep.27


 September 27, 1971

Dear Family,

It is now Monday morning about nine o'clock and I just got done walking my two roommates to their classes -- that start at eight o'clock then went to the cafeteria and saw Nancy Walker who is working there as a checker. Then checked into a job myself.  And I start work tomorrow night as a checker.  That is where you check of the numbers of people as they walk in the door.  I'm a check on Tuesdays and Wednesdays -- suppers only.  Then on Monday, Wednesday and Friday I work as a "runner" whatever that means, for breakfasts only.

Mary, Vanessa, Brenda, and Diana did make it up here last night.  They didn't make it here till about six thirty.  I guess they sat around about an hour to see if they won a TV.

Then we all went out and ate at a Mexican place.  They did make it up the steps, but I doubt if they will ever be up here again . . . . not many people make the trip up here very often.

I had an awful time trying to cash the J and W check.  None of the banks around here would cash it unless I had an account at their bank.  So at the third place I said ok, I'll start an account.  But then they said, after I had already signed my name on two cards, etc., that I would have to deposit the whole amount, so I told them to forget it.  Finally, the book store that I bought some books at cashed it.  The book-store on campus wouldn't cash it.

Vanessa told me that Grandma has gone to Americare.  Do tell her I say hello and that I will be writing . . . just give me time.  Do tell Mrs. Matthews and Lucy Hilderbrant that I said hello.

Thanks alot for the brownies.  It was pretty funny -- as they thought there was a pair of shoes being that it was a shoe box.  I imagine there would have been some missing . . . had they known they were brownies.

Shelly Purtee brought up all the stuff yesterday.  Thanks for sending the information with her.  She is bringing her car up next weekend.

What is Mr. Zook's phone number?  I might check with him about coming home next week-end.  I am planning on coming home this week-end.  I wrote Sandy and told her if she needs me I'll be more than glad to work.

Yesterday I went to Church with Melissa.  After church we went down for tea and cookies and this girl asked me my name and I said Uible and she said she knew some Uibles.  It turned out to be Dick Uible and her father who is an orthodist [orthodontist?]  is putting braces on ------ Uible.  Isn't that something????

I don't know yet how I will get home.  It makes it bad since I have that class from three till five on Fridays.  Also the last bus leaves at five fifteen so doubt if I can make that bus.

First class in three hours!!!

Love,
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album