Saturday, September 18, 2021

1971 Cris's Letter -Sep.19

SEPTEMBER 19th [1971]
Dear Uible Family & Grandma,

Here I am in GA. TECH, awaiting tomorrows opening of classes.  To say the least I don't know what to expect, except plenty of studying and sore excruciating headaches.  HA!  Actually, I'm real optimistic and anxious to be initiated as a full fledged RAMBLIN RECH from GA. TECH!

This week has been devoted solely to getting settled and oriented on campus.  My dorm room worked our real well even though I was placed at the last minute in worst of the freshman dorms.  My room is well located, for across the hall is the latrine facilities, to the right of that is a water fountain and a phone, while to the south of my room is a staircase which adds privacy and quietness to the room, not mentioning the fast get away for classes in the morning.  Also my roommate and I are quite compatible, which is very lucky!

My schedule includes more Math, Physics, AFROTC, and a computer course.  You'll be interested to know that I've definitely decided to continue with ROTC.  I hope I'm doing the right thing for this coming Thursday I raise my right hand and enlist for four years of active duty.  However, I hope to devote two of those four years towards a Masters in Industrial Management, so actually I'm serving only two years.  This plan is agreeable with me.  My B.S. plans right now include majoring in Industrial Engineering.  My tentative date for graduation is Winter of 74.  UGH!

Yesterday, I attended my first football game at Tech, and must say it was alot of fun.  At the beginning of the game, before the players went onto the field an old Model A Ford (Ramblin Reck) came on to the field and every one cheered.  See the Ramblin Reck is sort of our heritage at this school.  By the way, we won (a minor point)!

Today, (Sunday) I went to church and met my first "SOUTHERN BELLE".  She just happened to be sitting right by me some how.  Anyway, after the service, being forward like I am (HA!) I asked her to join me for dinner but that got a BIG NO !  However, I got her address and will ask her to this weeks game!  Also after church she asked me if I was a voice major.  I thought that was funny for my roommate calls me, GOLDEN THROAT!  HA!

Speaking of singing I tried out for the male glee club last week.  I hope to join for there is a remote chance the group might tour Russia this summer!  If that falls through for the summer I'm also applying to work this summer in Europe.  This is done through the school's YMCA.

Speaking of travel, Aunt Jean, I think the Folks are planning to visit the African coast for three weeks!  Is the bet still on?  They are planning to take off for three weeks around the 20th of Dec.

J.B. I've also wondered if you would do me a big favor, if you would please!  I wondered if you would mail me my watch COD.  also check and see if I left a pair of two tone shoes at your house.  If so, please mail that also for me COD.  It would be much appreciated!  The shoes are brown.

Grandma, hope you are feeling better now and wish you a fast recovery so you can join us in the Winter.  Take care for I'm thinking of you all always.

Love,
Cris

P.S.  H.H., what's new with the factory as far as the pinwheel and bubble business goes?  Any bugs in your new ball painting conveyor system.

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album