Thursday, September 30, 2021

1971 Catherine's Letter -Sep.28


 September 28, 1971

Dear Mom, Dad, Serena, John and Mary,

Hi.  Glad to have gotten your postcard yesterday.  Our typewriter needs a new ribbon so I am typing this at the library where I have only about ten more minutes before it will be time to go around and close the windows so we can go home.

I got the refund check from WMU.  We paid for your prints of the wedding pictures with it and then I put the rest in our savings account.  I figure that is simpler in the long run because then I can withdraw the money to pay for the next term when that is due.  There will probably be enough left to pay for half of a term after that even.  If I remember, and if I can find it I will send you the form WMU sent to me with the money.

Classes are going pretty well.  We're having our first tests in both cataloging and building library collections tomorrow.  So we spent practically all day today studying.

I did go pick some grapes in a housing development about two miles away.  The vines have been abandoned but there sure were lots of grapes.  I picked about two large paper sacks full.  We're considering making some homemade wine.

Oh yes, the big thing I wanted to tell you is that we will probably be down for Thanksgiving.  It isn't for positive yet as we're not positive that someone will work for us the day after Thanksgiving.  I'll try to talk to her soon before she has a chance to make any other commitments.  Mrs. Hall will probably come with us, although then again she might not.  We said something to her once and she said something to the affect that you probably wouldn't want her but we insisted there was always room for one more.  We'll probably bring Kuman too.

Sept. 30

Got your letter today, Mom.  Thanks for it and the pictures.  Do you want them back?  That reminds me that I also want to enclose two thank you notes that I didn't have addresses for.  I wrote them a long time ago.

The tests went pretty well the other day.  Of course, we don't know yet how we did.  Speaking of tests I haven't yet heard whether I passed comps or not.  I found out pretty definitely that I passed the URE's which was what they were waiting to find out before they told me about the other two.  The problem now is that Dr. Fugate went with the foreign study students to Europe and won't be back for a couple of days.

We sent John a present today so hope it gets there by his birthday.

Our living arrangement is far from ideal but we all seem to be getting on tolerably well.  Dick and I seem to be managing fairly well on our $45 per week except for the week we bought the car.  That certainly ruined the average.  Ha!

Love, Catherine & Dick

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album