Wednesday, July 08, 2020

1980 Catherine's Letter -July 11


Friday, July 11, 1980

Dear Mother, Dad, & Mary,

Hi!  I'm off to a late start with the letter this week but I figured you weren't going to be home to get it anyway.

I had my first case of jury duty on Tuesday.  The judge said it would be a short case.  It took all day.  Maybe that is the definition of a short case.  This 22-year-old guy had his driver's license suspended three times but because he was not living at the address which the Department of Motor Vehicles had for him he never received the notifications that his license was suspended.  He therefore pleaded not guilty to driving with a suspended license.  We found him guilty since he had neither checked at his mailing address to see if he had any mail or changed his address.

Wendy and I both got our hair trimmed yesterday.  Her bangs have now grown out almost as long as her hair so we are going to let her hair grow.  I am also letting my hair grow out but I hope to keep it curly -- it's called a gypsy style.

Tomorrow the Elks are having a picnic which we are going to.  We are supposed to bring our own hamburgers, buns, and a salad.  We have alot of eggs as Gerry buys them from a woman at work for 40¢ a dozen so I will probably fix deviled eggs.

Gerry has been super busy at work.  I think I may have mentioned that his helper, Judy, quit as she got a job in Bend.  They are going to hire a part-time woman and a full time man to help him but so far he only has the part-time woman who he is in the process of training.  Also the farmers just started cutting their grass.  They do it at night so that the seeds won't fall off of the stalks (they are harvesting the seed) so he gets lots of calls at night.  Wednesday night or actually Thursday morning he had to go down to the Co-op at 4:00 a.m.  At least he has tomorrow off and someone else will be there during the day so we'll have a few hours of peace.

Last weekend Gerry put up a clothesline for me.  It is an umbrella style and has about 220 feet of line.  I had been hanging them up in the garage but outside is much nicer and keeps the garage from looking like a laundromat.  He had to dig a hole down through the ledge in the backyard about 15 inches deep and then fill it with concrete.  I have done a few loads this week but looking forward to hanging several out tomorrow.

Well, it is our lunch hour and it is now almost time to go back to work so I better close.  We got your letter yesterday, thanks!  Hope to hear form you again soon.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry, DeeDee & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album