Wednesday, July 01, 2020

1980 Catherine's Letter -July 1

Tuesday, July 1, 1980

Dear Mother, Dad & Mary,

Hi!  Here I am at work on my "coffee break." I have the library board meeting at noon today so I am not going out for my usual break.

Things have been pretty hectic at home since I talked to you on Friday.  We had some friends over for dinner on Friday.  They have a little girl Wendy's age who goes to the same babysitter (her grandmother) as Wendy on Wednesdays & Thursdays.  That went off fairly well.  We charcoaled some steaks on our hibachi.

Saturday morning we left early for Portland and did some shopping before we picked up DeeDee.  I bought three new pair of slacks -- grey, dark green, and navy blue if you want to remember that for your Velva Sheen shopping.  My other slacks are black, brown and red.  So anything that will go with those colors is fine.  That should cover everything they have!  I checked some of the shirts that I bought last summer -- the women's style and several of them are size large and fit fine although one long sleeve one (that didn't have any decal) is a little big.  P.S. I forgot my burgundy colored slacks.  So you can judge by how big they look.  Gerry has about the same color slacks as I do except I don't think he has any red ones.  Do not be afraid of buying us too many!  I will gladly send you the money now if you prefer.

To go on with our trip to Portland we also bought some more unfinished furniture.  We bought a dresser which we will let DeeDee use for the summer and then it will be Wendy's and also a large cedar box which will be a toy box until Wendy no longer needs such a thing and then it could store anything.  [That box is now located in the loft at the Counts house.]  We put one coat of stain on both of them on Sunday and hope to put a second coat on the dresser tonight.  Then we will put urethane finish on both.

Sunday we went to church with a coffee hour afterwards.  The Jackmans are leaving this week for a three week vacation so there will be substitute preachers for the next few weeks.  The raft trip left Warm Springs bridge at 1:00  There were about 50 people in 10 rafts altogether so that was a good turn out.  It was a fairly calm trip with only a few rapids.  Wendy slept for about half of the 2½ hour trip.  DeeDee was the bailer & another guy that went along with us & Gerry were the navigators so I just relaxed and held on to Wendy.  It was alot of fun, Gerry & I  hope to go on a more difficult trip at some later date.  There was a pot luck picnic at the end of the raft trip.

Our friends the Grinvalds from Klamath Falls (he stayed with us last week) all came this week.  So I left Wendy home to play with them yesterday & today.  We fixed a Mexican dinner for them last night.

Tonight we are going to a pot luck salad or dessert picnic at the Jackman's.  They have invited the whole church in an effort to promote informal fellowship so it will be interesting to see how many show up.

Library board -- interesting -- decided to patch roof -- more later.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album