Thursday, July 02, 2020

1970 Serena's Letter -July 2

[envelope addressed to John and Mary Virginia, postmarked Morrow, Ohio - July 2, 1970]

Hi!

In my tent are: Dolly, Denise, and Darci.  Sorry I haven't written but I've been terribly busy.

I am in Sassafras.  The CITs (Counselors in Training) are with us or really it's the other way around.

Tisa (?) is in Timber Ridge (across from Sherwood).  Her unit leader is Marty who was mine my first year.  Those of us are here that were here my first year.  In our unit there are 9 seniors , 4 CITs and two counselors.  Yesterday 2 of us seniors helped Kroll put up a round up tent.  The first 2nd night we all went to Timber & taught them songs.

We've cooked out twice this morning & Wed. evening.  Both were delicious.  For lunch today we are the CITs guests.  The food here is rotten the only thing that is any good is the bread.  They say that all the food is the kind that all you have to do is take it out and heat it.  There are 165 campers here & 37 counselors.

I have a little poison ivy but nothing to worry about.  I've gotten 3 post cards & Kim's letter.

Last night we helped the CITs babysit with the younger kids while the counselors had a meeting we played baseball, kickball, and sang songs until about nine then we went to the Evergreen & showed a bunch of movies (Lister [?], Wonderful World of Ohio, & Here's Girl Scouting or something & a few other such "great" movies.  We served them lemonade & pop corn.  The counselors meeting wasn't over until a little after midnight by then most of the kids were on the floor sleeping.

A couple nights ago we, Seniors, had a party but by 12 or so I got too sleepy so fortunately the party was in the other tent so I went to bed (I was the only one).  The others didn't go to bed till 2 or 3 but by that time I had slept quite a bit.  The next morning I woke up to someone yelling hey and shaking my shoulders then turning around I came fact to face with Margaret, the water front director.  She was coming back from a Lifesaving Class.  She asked me if we were cooking out or eating in the lodge.  At the moment I didn't know what she was even talking about, so she repeated her question & I gave a very sleepy answer.  She then said that if I were going to breakfast in the lodge that we had 20 min. & 5 min. to flag ceremony!  We unanimously decided to skip breakfast in favor of sleep.  So after about 15 min. of rest our adopted counselor, Phyllis, told us that if we didn't get to breakfast we are going to be in big, big trouble.  As it is against the rules to skip.  We made it just in time.

For supper I was a table head as there were not enough counselors.  Unfortunately only 1 of the 8 kids were cadettes.  I got the girl who is known as the terror of the camp & five other real livewires.

Starting Monday I'm going on a bike ride with Cedar Trails, the bicycling unit.  It is to last until Thursday that's about all I know about right now.  There are only 10 in their unit.

I have only one request for lunch July 4th that is this PLEASE no packaged or canned food.

It has been raining off and on all day.  Which has ruined most everything.

Tomorrow morning we have flag ceremony.  We also hop.  Which means we have to set the tables, get the food, & stuff like that.

Tuesday night & tonight we have had exploring where you have a variety of things to do.  I've done archery & gone fishing with a holey fish net.

Well I had better be signing off as morning seems to come earlier every morning.

Love to all,
Serena Sue Uible

P.S. this letter has been about 3 days in the making.

Hi!  Sorry I keep forgetting to mail this.  In about 10 minutes I am going to leave on a bike trip.  I don't know anything more about it.  I must finish packing.  Time now - 7:20 in the morning.


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album