Thursday, July 09, 2020

1970 Roberta's Letter -July 12

July 12, 1970
Dear Family,

Hello!  Well,  About 10:00 A.M. they called us over to building #10.  They are laying off about 2,000 people.  We were about the 140th ones. 

Tuesday we go file for unemployment.  I looked it up in Daddy's Baldwins books -- those blue things.  We should get about $46 a week.  A slight cut in pay!!  Ho, Hum.

They didn't even let us work Friday -- I guess they even sent some people home at noon.

I took the S.A.T.  Oh, golly.  I hope they said I just have to take it -- not PASS it!!  School seats are harder & more uncomfortable than I even remembered them!

Oh, Daddy, I have a paper from George Fox College for you to sign.  It's about finances.

I think I'm going to get a paper-route or sell Amway or something.  Make me a little money on the side.  Without the unemployment people finding out!

Grandma went to Leesburg with Mrs. Moore today to eat.  I told her she had her nerve.  She said she had invited me first but I had already made plans.  Oh.  Well.  Next Sunday - - -

I'm enjoying my paid vacation.  See you all when you get here.

Love,
Bert

P.S. I really feel like an adult now getting unemployment!!

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album