Friday, February 21, 2020

1980 Roberta's Letter -Jan.16

January 16, 1980
8:00 PM --
Dear Family,

I've got a letter downstairs in the typewriter started -- that was on Sunday & it just has the date on it -- hopefully I'll get further on tonight's.

Marian is downstairs -- Board meeting of the homeowners Assoc. -- main topic seems to be about delinquent monthly charges -- now over 4 thous!!! 

I did register today for  2  classes at ASU.  It was a pleasant surprise to be able to go through the whole process in about 45 minutes!  I'll be going 2 nights a week -- starting tomorrow night.  Thursday will be from 6:40 to 9:30 PM.  I bought the book for the class today -- $20.50 -- I'm keeping all receipts for tax purposes!!  First chapter is titled something like -- is death a life crisis?

My other class is Recreational Facilities -- meets on Wednesdays from 4:40 to 7:30.  I talked to the prof. last semester and the course will be mostly visiting various sites -- and then picking a place & really do a details "study" on it.

I'll be having to leave work early on Wednesday -- which is no problem.

Work is going OK.  Though I've sure had my share of headaches w/ it.  It makes me glad I had the 4 years of -- summer -- experience at Hudson Guild Farm.

First of all I'm at the East Mesa Center -- it's at 73rd Street - just off University.  It is the Masonic Lodge -- they lease it out to us for $50 per month.  We (staff) are not to be out there past 5:00 PM -- which is fine w/ me.  As to the participants -- they have to be out of the building by 2:00 PM.  Alot of afternoons Eastern Star ladies or whoever are in the building.

We have a small office -- looks like it should be a storage area.  Instead it has 2 desks, 2 chairs & 1 stool & 1 telephone line for 3 people.  What a riot!

We serve 65 meals -- but as of tomorrow up to 80!!  The meals are not cooked there -- thank goodness!  Though we have lots of problems 2/ the caterer -- shortages -- temperatures of food -- etc. About 20 of these meals we have delivered meals -- these people are ones that I will be paying visits soon to check out if they real need the home delivered meals -- and to see if it would be possible for them to come into the center say -- 1 day a week.

I've been busy on the phone calling up people who have been to the center -- inviting them back.

The East Center has been run -- until January 1st by the County.  It's a long story but the county placed a manger out there & she got sick -- so a couple who had done lots of volunteer work -- got put in charge for the month of December.  They are also Pres. & Secretary of the Site Council for the center.  By name -- Marvin & Emmabelle J-------.

They have decided not to make life easy for us out there.  Oh!  Emmabelle applied for the job out there - I met her in the waiting room when waiting to be interviewed.

The story behind the J------'s is a long one -- but they have really mis-used the center -- stealing supplies -- food, etc.  Trouble of it is they have quite a "following" of people at the center.  I ws told about these J------'s my 1st day by the Director before I got out to the center.  Your really have to meet these J------'s to believe them.

But -- Wayne & I are making lots of progress out there.  It's taking time but we are trying to get programs started -- luckily I'm not afraid of the phone.

What really gets me is that there are 2 of us out at the East Center -- and 12 people at the new Mesa Center -- and it serves about 10 people more!  Now does that make sense?

Actually there are 3 of us -- 1 a van driver -- tho the main center also has 1 driver.

Still have more big news -- #140 sold -- last Saturday.  People put down $500 -- original offer wsa $200 down + $40,000.  Final deal was $41,900 w/the $500 down.

It's a young couple -- want to close escrow 13th February.  So then we hope to close escrow same day.

On Tuesday of this week we had in all of our papers -- thanks Dad for sending the letter.  It sure impressed them.  I think they even liked the stationery!

All that paper work had to be sent into Los Angeles -- they said that would take about 2 weeks to be given the official ok.  I asked about that pre-payment deal -- they said fine.  Then I looked at insurance this & that cost -- $54 total extra - above payments.  But we have decided to each pay $25 extra per month.  (toward P&I -- I'm learning these words!)

The new house is coming right along -- now throughout (even the garage) is about this color -- Yellow!  The cabinets are in-- and the stove & dishwasher are sitting in the garage,  The fence behind the house is about half done.  The units went up $3,000 January 1st -- even the unsold units in our area.  They have just started laying the foundations for the next phase.

I'm happy to report Buffy is doing fine -- his bald spots just look a little funny.

Called up Lowell Sanker & invited him over tomorrow night -- then w/mu class starting called him back tonight & asked him for Friday.

We've really been looking for a couch -- sleeper.  They sure do vary in price!!  A final decision won't be made till we have a sample of the carpet.  Maybe the carpet will go in next week.

I've decided to put the Christmas money you all gave me toward a dresser.  Perhaps a tall upright one like Marian has.  We plan to sell the couch downstairs that will be one less big item to move.

I've been riding the bike to work -- takes 5 minutes more than the car.  It can make 2 round trips -- then needs more gas.  It's just 13 miles one way.  We have a meeting everyday in town at 4:00 -- that way counts that as mileage I'll be paid for -- also means I travel the way back on their time.

Last week it rained 3 days -- We went to Sporting-Goods Store -- check out about buying "we suite" -- but very expensive $20 & up.  Marian stopped at Army Surplus tonight & got one for $3.97 -- really a nice one too.  Clear pants & top -- also hood.  Now weather report says clear & sunny weather -- but Knowing January in Arizona -- we will have some rainy days left !!  Right - Mary Virginia?!?

OK - gotta go --

Love,
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album