Wednesday, February 12, 2020

1969 Catherine's Postcard to MV -Dec.24

Caption: Frohe Weihnachten und Viel Glück im Neuen Jahr
[English: Merry Christmas and Good Luck in the New Year]


December 24, 1969
Hi!  I thought of you all yesterday when we left Vienna as the temperature was about -10º F.  It was so freezing I didn't see much of Vienna.  But now I am in sunny Italy and today the skies were blue!   Rome is very dirty but it is nice to be here where it is warm.  We walked around alot and also saw the Vatican today -- is it ever gigantic.  Only the "chapel" is open but it is big enough to hold about 3 or 4 football fields.  I wish I knew Italian.  I keep being tempted to use my German.  We have a fairly nice room here in a pension -- sort of a cheap hotel -- so we have a home for Christmas.  We had a good time going in all the little grocery stores and trying to get across what we wanted and how much but it was fun and we managed somehow.  I appreciated finding a letter in the American Embassy from home.  Have fun swimming!

Love, Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album