Sunday, February 23, 2020

1970 Catherine's Letter -Jan.17

January 17, 1970
7:30 AM
Dear Mother, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John and Mary,

Hi!  Your letter of January 11-12 arrived yesterday.  Thanks too for sending the letter from Grandma, the clippings and the stamps for Vati.  I am enclosing the stamp from Grandma's letter.  I don't envy you the weather.  Ugh!  It sounds awful.  Maybe I will get to come home on one of those big planes.

I have seen no National Geographics over here.  The public library gets "Life" but they are always about two months behind.  Ann and I usually buy a "Time" so we can keep up with what is going on in the United States.  An article for you all to read is in the January issue of "Psychology Today".  It is on affluence and is written by Jean Mayer, a nutritionist.

How does Roberta like NCR?  Are they commuting from Sabina?  Now that Mary is learning to print I will be expecting a letter from her, too.  John, I'd be interested in reading your theme on Americanism.  In our history course we've been discussing the differences between nationalism, patriotism and whether historians distort history to fit their purposes.  Serena have you joined Candy Stripers yet?  Is my uniform still around or did I give it away?  You all will probably know more about German geography than I do.

Is Weegie engaged to Wayne?  Really, Mother you shouldn't neglect such an important detail.  I can kind of understand how Patty feels.  Alot of kids over here are depressed too.  As for me, I have put in too much work now to think of quitting.  Besides, I'm almost through, with this phase anyway.  I'm not sure what the future holds but I would rather face it with the education behind me.

I am really loaded with German marks right now.  I changed a bunch of money yesterday as we have to pay for Moscow on Monday.  it costs 339 DM and that includes transportation (air) from East Berlin to Moscow & back, room & meals there, and guided tours in Moscow.  I don't think it is too unreasonable but I certainly couldn't afford to go every week!

Vati got a slide projector for Christmas so we saw slides last night of the Völker's '69 vacation in Yugoslavia.  Also saw some that Rosie took of our trip.  Rosie and I signed up to room together next quarter in DeWaters.  It's funny how Rosie and I get along really well and also Alan and I do.  But Rosie and Alan together is constant clash.  Of course, traveling together the way we did provided lots of opportunity for clash.  Alan is very logical and everything he does has its plan and purpose while Rosie tends to lean in the other direction.

I got a Christmas card yesterday from Carol Tapella.  She was my best friend at SIU -- remember?  She mailed it December 20 but it didn't have enough postage to come air mail.  She is still going to U of I.  Other than that, a letter from Mike, and the one from you I hadn't gotten any other mail.  Last quarter the mail was about the most important part of my life.  It's still nice but I found that I can live without it.  Maybe that is a sign of better adaption to my environment.  I've been trying to write one or two letters every morning to get caught up on all the people I owe letters too.

My regards to all --

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album