Saturday, February 01, 2020

1969 Catherine's Postcard to GHU -Dec.13



Dec. 13, 1969
Merry Christmas, Grandma!

I'm not dreaming of the white Christmases I used to know because it is cold enough here.  It does seem a little strange that I will be in Italy or some "foreign" country outside of Germany on Christmas Day.  I bought a beautiful dictionary with your Christmas money.  It's beautiful, but very frustrating because it is jam packed with German.  Ugh!  Even now there are people babbling German around me -- at least it is easier to shut them out and concentrate on writing.  On Thursday our group went to Essen.  Essen and the nearby Ruhr area have around 12 million people.  The Christmas lights are fantastic.  Starting Friday until March 18 I can ride the trains 1st class for free.  No place in western Europe is beyond our reach.  Happy holidays!

Love, Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album