Monday, February 03, 2020

1969 Catherine's Letter -Dec.16

December 16, 1969

Dear Mother, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John & Mary,

Hi!  It seems like everyday I put off writing to you because I figure the next day I'll hear from you.  However there aren't a great number of "next" days left before I leave.  I'm sure you are pretty rushed and the mail is also probably bogged down.

Things are pretty much in full swing here.  I finished my art paper over the weekend so all I have left is the exam tomorrow.  I wrote the paper on Oskar Kokoschka, an early German expressionist who started painting about 1910.  My favorite is one he did in 1954 called "Thermopylae" from Greek mythology and another "The Power (or Might) of Music."  He also did alot of cities and portraits.

Max, the German soldier, was home this past weekend so I spent some time with him -- mainly watching TV or listening to records and I got some Christmas cards written while he repaired a radio.

Ann's mother sent her two boxes of pizza (there's a specialty store that sells it here or you can buy it pre-made at the Am. army base) so we made them up with lots of good German cheese and Salami.  The two American guys down the street helped us eat them instead of the usual Butterbrot last night for supper.

We also had a birthday party for Alan last night.  Rosie and I made a chocolate cake which turned out better than the one Ann & I made.  Alan was 21 today so he stayed home from school to celebrate.

Ann and I went down town and finished our Christmas shopping this afternoon as tomorrow is our Christmas here at home.  I also got a rucksack to carry my extra set of clothes during the next three weeks.

I got a Christmas card from Aunt Mary today.  Gee, Joe is over on this side of the ocean by now.  Maybe I'll see him in March when we're both back on that side.

December 17, 1969

About 1:30 last night I gave up trying to finish this.  I got a letter from you all today.  Thanks for the Spanish money.  I'll try to put it to good use.  Sounds like you had a good birthday dinner, Mother.  Sorry I couldn't be there.  Also glad the Christmas program went well, John.

Art exam is over, so only one more day of school and we scatter over Europe!  As somebody said in school this morning, "Tomorrow we leave Münster, Michigan for Europe."  After we get back we have only 5 weeks of school.  We (about 13 of us) will probably be going to Moscow the week of Jan 24 and then school is over February 27 or 28.  I hope to go to Scandinavia and then over to Ireland and Gr. Britain.

Sue Steusloff is getting married in Erlangen on January 10 so I may leave Lisbon a day earlier to go to her wedding.

It sounds like you got an interesting card from Mike.  I think he's coming to K in May and then I'll be going back with him for graduation.  His chances for grad (law) school next fall may be, or probably are shot as his draft number is 24.

I hear quite often from Dave R., too.  But there seems to be another girl in his life.  She must be pretty special because he mentions her almost as much as the football and hockey.

Got to go jump on my frozen Fahrrad and pedal madly into town.  Otherwise I'd freeze too!

Love,
Catherine 

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album