Wednesday, September 04, 2019

1949 Jean's Letter -July 17



Sunday
July 17, 1949
Dearest Mother,

Your cards & letters have been coming in regularly and we do appreciate hearing.  [Either the cards & letters from "Mother" aka Dear, were not saved, which doesn't seem likely considering everything else that was saved OR they are yet to be found.]

Mary & Bill & the children were over for dinner & just left.  They are to go to a picnic & afterwards play bridge but the weather is not at all good for a picnic.

Friday night we went over & played with them and 2 other couples & had a real good time.  Harold did well considering that this was only his 3rd time -- & the last being before we were married -- Nov. 1947, I believe.  I did very poorly until the very last hand when my partner bid clubs.  I had Ace, King, Jack & 10 so I kept bidding 'til it ended up with six clubs doubled.  Ed Kelly my partner really felt like killing me when I kept on bidding for he only had 7 with the queen high but I had wonderful help & we made it.  There was only 1 diamond & 2 hearts between us so we also had that sewed up.  That gave us 1850 or thereabouts & just cleared me 90 above the next score on the women's side so Ed & I both went home with a dollar.  (Everyone chips in 25¢.)  I sure was lucky with my partner for I still can't count nor remember what's been played.

Harold is interested (& me too) how your tomato plants are coming.  We hope to be up before they are all eaten so let us know how they are.

So glad you found my blue shoes -- felt they were downstairs but never took too much time to look for them.  When I did think of it I was in a hurry & when I had time, I never thought of them. 

Did Mrs. Reynolds find the diaper pail lid?  I meant to mention that I won't need the blue shoes so will get them on our first trip up.

I stayed home this morning & Harold went to church.  The arrangement is that I'm to go next Sunday.  Perhaps we will be able to take Catherine before long but Dr. Fullerton said it is best not to take her out as long as she hasn't had her 3rd shot & there are some cases of whooping cough in town.

We had a long letter from Jeanne Campbell & she says Mrs. Trimble is carrying idle rumors.  By the way we've never received an Independent since we've been here so would appreciate receiving it or do you think they'd appreciate a donation?

Also had a letter from Ruth Krickbaum who has gone to Yellowstone Park for the summer & has a job in a cafeteria there.  She seems to like it real well -- has time to paint which she loves to do.  Jeanne named about six friends of theirs who plan to stop to see her on their way out west (Three sets -- 4 fellow & 2 girls).  Marie Parker & a friend plan to fly to Cody, Wyoming and then bicycle through the park & so stop to see Ruth.

We put Catherine & Marianne together this afternoon & they looked real cute.  Catherine was trying to take Marianne's bottle off so while I was leaning over M would pull her hair.  I know they're going to have fun later on!  C's back is getting stronger by the minute & won't be much longer before she'll sit up by herself.

I put the quilt over the side of C's bed to keep out the light.  When I went to see her later she was having a grand time.  After she saw me she pulled the quilt over her face & went on cooing as if she were hiding & I wouldn't be able to stop her.  The way she looks up then smiles would soften anyone's heart.

During the hot spell they decided to start work an hour earlier so it keeps us moving to get him there at 7:00.  Since the weather has become cooler again nearly everyone would like to change back.

Some friend stopped us & for some reason Catherine didn't take to her -- would smile but whenever Thelma would get too close she'd scream.  She has an unusual laugh & that my have frightened C but it's the first time C ever acted strange with anyone.

Marianne's sunsuit (Medium  like C's pink one) is getting too snug so I'm afraid C won't be able to wear hers at all.  I've been meaning to try it on her but never get around to it.  I still have the bill (sales slip) so do you think it might be exchanged?

All of our love --
Jean, Harold & Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album