Monday, August 24, 2015

1985 Catherine's letter -Aug. 22

Aug. 22, 1985
Dear Mother & Dad,

Hi!  I was going to call you this morning but decided I probably had time to write instead.

Gerry's mother arrived Monday at the Spokane airport so my mornings are a little less hectic since Wendy is staying home with her this week.  Next week I have off from work and then Wendy starts to school the day after Labor Day when I go back to work.

The tomatoes are sure slow in ripening, possibly because the weather has been so cool.  Highs have only been in the 60ºs this month and an night it gets down to 40º.  It's unusual to have such a cool August.  Plus we've had a couple days of rain this month.  Alot of the tomatoes that are turning are rotten on the bottom.  We have had green beans, several eggplant and there are lots of squash.  I've eaten and frozen quite a bit of applesauce and we made a microwave apple pie that turned out quite well.  After 10 min. in microwave, it bakes at 450º for 10 minutes to brown the crust.

Wendy and I have both been to the dentist this month.  she had her first filling and is going to have two of her bottom (baby) teeth pulled to make room for new ones, hopefully to avoid crowding.  I have a filling that needs re-done.  Gerry has about 10 more days of working extra long hours.  I've got storytimes planned through Dec. 18, staring Sept. 4 with school booktalks starting Sept. 5.  I will send you Wendy's school calendar next week.

Love, Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album