Friday, August 29, 2014

1984 Catherine's letter -Aug.17

August 17, 1984

Dear Mother & Dad,

Hi!  Thanks for calling the other night.  It was good talking to you and hearing all the news.  I hope the reception for Roberta & Sid goes well on Sunday.  I'm sure it will.  I'll try to remember to call on Sunday afternoon while the rates are still low here.  Gerry has to work on Sunday and then after he gets off (hopefully around 4:00) we plan to play golf.

At least Gerry has tomorrow off so we plan to spend the afternoon in Spokane and have dinner before DeeDee catches her 6:30 p.m. flight back to San Diego.  She is anxious to get back and see her friends.  Next year I think we'll see if she can come earlier in the summer when things aren't quite as hectic for Gerry.  Of course if she gets a summer job that could change everything. She has her Driver's License now and Gerry has been giving her lessons on driving our stick shift so she'll have some experience with that.  I can remember shifting on that VW bug we had.

My interview at WSU for the Secretary III & Office Asst. III jobs was pretty much as I expected.  I had to expound more on my secretarial skills and experience as well as bookkeeping.  Now I am on the list that is given to the different departments when they have an opening.  The lady I talked to in the Personnel Dept. said I might be better off applying for the Sec'y & O.A. II positions as those are usually considered the entry levels.  Applicants are given a rating based on the tests and then listed in that order.  Current staff members get a 5 point bonus when applying for a promotional position.  I thought I'd wait and see if I get the job in Moscow first.  Hopefully I will have an interview there the end of next week and then I should know by the following week whether I get that job as they hope to have someone start on September 1.

Thanks to Mary Virginia for sending us the Richard Simmons and Firm Believer tape.  Wendy and I listened to R.S. yesterday after they came in the mail.  It will be awhile before we can figure out exactly what to do when.  We really appreciate receiving them.  And speaking of exercising it's about time to go to my Friday A.M. exercise class and then on to the post office so I will close.  Hope to hear from you soon.

Love, Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album