Sunday, August 31, 2014

1984 Catherine's letter -Aug.31

August 31, 1984

Dear Mother & Dad,

Hi!  I am writing this letter because I haven't heard yet whether I got the library job in Moscow.  After the interview on Wednesday they told me they would let me known [sic] within a week so I may not hear until next week.  I thought the interview went fairly well.  It was with four board members (3 women, 1 man) and the librarian.  They have two separate boards that work together (fortunately).  One is from the City of Moscow and the other is made up of Latah County residents.

The library interview was at 11:00 and lasted until probably 12:15.  Then I looked around downtown Moscow and the University of Idaho, killing time until 3:30 when I had an interview at WSU for an Office Assistant III job in the Personnel Office.  It would involve working with the personnel records - they have about 2500 active staff personnel.  The worst part is that they are supposed to let me know today if I got the job, as they want someone to start next week.  That means I may have to make a decision about my second choice before I know the outcome of my first choice.

Wendy and I went to her new school yesterday - Jennings Elementary which has K-8th grade.  We met her teacher, Miss Stover, who seemed very nice.  She is probably around 30 and had former taught kindergarten in Colfax although the last few years she has been teaching in Idaho.  Wendy was also pleased that she already knows two girls and one boy that are to be in her class.  There are 3 first grades altogether.  The teacher also assured Wendy that she wouldn't have to do anything really difficult the first day of school. We'll be able to tell you more about life in the 1st grade next week.

It is almost time for "Reading Rainbow" which I promised Wendy I would watch with her.  Have you ever seen any of that series on PBS?

Did you know Carol R. Brink (author of Caddie Woodlawn) was from Moscow?  The Children's Room which is in what was the main floor part of the Carnegie Library is called the Carol Rhyie [sic, correct spelling is Ryrie] Brink Children's Room.  She also wrote several adult books including Buffalo Coat which is about Moscow 1888-1896.

Got to go –––

Love, Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album