Thursday, October 05, 2006

Priscilla's Muffins

These are the healthy muffins - they can be made vegan by leaving out the egg whites and substituting soy flour and liquid.

They are from the King Arthur Flour site - which I highly recommend.

Priscilla's Muffins:

Priscilla's Muffins

INTRO

Priscilla Wyland is Brinna's aunt, a woman who hasn't changed a bit in all the years she's known her. Priscilla, who happens to be 84 at the moment, is one of those people who has never, and is not about to, let anyone tell her how to run her life (a clear asset at any point!) These muffins are what Priscilla starts her day with. She's been playing with the recipe for years and, per Brinna's last conversation with her, has more ideas in the offing. (Even wrestling with a muffin recipe gives you a sense of control!) Not long ago, Priscilla's grandson, MacKenzie Davis, as large as she is petite (he plays football for Brown University) said to her, "Not enough bananas." So she added more and we've captured her recipe at this evolutionary juncture, complete with rum for added punch. At this point they are one of the best nutritional bets around. Her recipe makes 12 muffins with enough batter left over to make a tiny loaf (or 3 more muffins). And each muffin checks in at only about 130 calories.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (or 1 cup King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat Flour)
1 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 cup unprocessed bran
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional; Priscilla leaves it out since she wants to keep her sodium intake to a minimum)
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk (optional, but in combination with the wheat, boosts the protein level)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 large or 3 medium bananas (about 1 cup mashed)
2 egg whites (no yolks, no cholesterol!)
3 to 4 tablespoons honey, molasses or maple syrup (no white sugar)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (this can be eliminated for completely fat-free muffins)
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons dark rum (contributes flavor only)

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat your oven to 400°F.

Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. In a larger bowl, mash the bananas and beat in the egg whites until the mixture is light and frothy. Blend in the honey (or other sweetener), vegetable oil, orange juice and rum.

Sprinkle in the dry ingredients and blend until just combined. Lightly grease muffin cups and fill two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.

These muffins won't rise up in the middle because there is such a small percentage of flour in relation to the oatmeal and bran. But because of the banana, they are delicious, moist and chewy, a great way to start a healthy day!

8 comments:

Catherine Uible Morgan said...

Serena, we (Mom, Dad, Gerry & I) are looking at the blog as we speak. I sent Mom & Dad a new invitation because I don't see the previous one in their email box. Not sure how long it will take for the new one to show up in the email inbox but it isn't there yet. Either that or I didn't send the invitation correctly! Forgot to mention on the phone that JJKA & Mom & Dad are very much enjoying the muffins you sent. THANKS! Could you send them another invitation if you don't see them as members by tomorrow. Thanks.

Serena said...

I did send JJKA another invitation.

Glad you were able to help M&D get on the blog.

Roberta said...

I will make a comment, as shy as I am! The muffins made a huge hit at the meeting yesterday! Many asked for the recipes which Serena then sent to me, and I forwarded, making myself look quite efficient.

WELCOME TO THE BLOG.......MOM AND DAD! Stay tuned! TGIF! I am off to the Ritz today for a luncheon, which means I need to look for those semi-dressy shoes I wore last century. Roberta the blogger

Catherine Uible Morgan said...

Serena, forgot to mention that your muffins have been a big hit here in Ohio. JJKA shared with M&D. All were impressed with how many muffins you squeezed into the space -- hundreds according to John!
On another note, I can't figure out yet how to get the blog to open up and recognize that it is M&D. Thought I had that set up yesterday but evidently not.

Mary Uible Crowson said...

The muffin recipe sounds good but out of my league (more than 5 ingredients!). Is this the one you used on the muffins you sent to Georgia?

Mary Uible Crowson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Serena said...

ummm . . . no those were more spur of the moment. I did all the baking in one evening. I used a recipe I have used before that is basically a pretty generic one and then one can add to one's heart's content. I'll look up the address. Actually the health-nut/Priscilla/Catherine recipe is one I have used several times in the past.

You can certainly tell that you and Roberta are related - she sid virtually the same thing about five ingredients. She was telling me other day about she thinks she has Attention Deficit Disorder, but she got distracted while telling me.

Roberta said...

JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW.....I am reading these comments, though I also have on a crime show at the same time, but not AMW! Kitchen is calling me........

This now holds the prize for most comments. THE MUFFINS WERE (ARE) deliciious!

Items from Uible photo album