Wednesday, September 30, 2015

1905 Nat to Lucie Letter -Oct.3

Some new pieces of information in this letter beginning with the letterhead of the stationary indicating that N.W. Ballantyne was Secretary of the Standard Porcelain Company, located in New Cumberland, W. Va.  According to a list of companies put out by the Insulator Research Service, Standard Porcelain operated in New Cumberland from about the 1890s until the 1920s.  Names associated with the company were Ballantyne and Brown, though A.L. Dyke, listed as general manager on the stationary, is mentioned as the founder of the firm.  Dyke was former manager of the Akron Insulator & Marble Co.  The other two names mentioned on the letterhead are John A. Campbell, Pres. and James Porter, Treas.

As mentioned previously, Nat and Lucie were married December 6, 1906.  The health of Lucie's father, Adrian Wilmer "A.W." Brown, born November 1855, died May 16, 1906, is discussed.  At the time of this letter he would be approaching his 50th birthday.  In a January 1905 letter A.W. mentions that he is "feeling very much better . . . looking better . . . [and has] gained two pounds . . ." 

Also mentioned in this letter is "Bert," Lucie's brother (Robert Morrow Brown 1877-1946) and Mrs. Brown (Ola Moore Brown 1862-1926), step-mother of Lucie and Bert, who married A.W. in 1891 after the death of Mary Virginia Morrow Brown in 1890 at the age of 32.

[This being the second letter from Nat recently transcribed I was prepared for the "t" at the end of words not being crossed and looking more like an "n" but in this letter, which was perhaps written more rapidly, he seems to insert random periods and then continue on with the sentence.  Also certain words seem to be capitalized despite not being at the beginning of a sentence.  Apologies for any misinterpretations or errors.]



[P.S. is added upside down at the top of the first page but is transcribed at the end of the letter.]

Oct. 3rd 05 [1905]
My Dear Lucie

Your letter arrived yesterday and found it on my arrival home from the City

Now Lucie am sorry that you are led to worry about your father for really have been somewhat alarmed about him my self but he seems to get over these attacks very quickly and seems as bright and cheerful as ever.  Would have written to you about him my self had I known that the folks were not doing it.  However Lucie do not think you should be alarmed for he does seem to me to be more active than when you left but does not in appearance seem to have gained any.  Now to tell you the facts about his illness last week so far as I was able to get there from my own observations was this On Last Tuesday I went up to the Office with some bills Leads to be printed and he was there and just seemed to be in his usual spirits.  Bert said he didn't think he could get them out for us that day but would do his best to.  Your father spoke up and said if the form was set up he would do it and this was the first time I had seen him take any active part.  Fearing he would worry over matters just told Bert that the next day would suit me so arranged it that your father would'n take a hold (which it seems was and is his desire to do) of any of the work there.  The next morning heard that he was not feeling well and didn't come up to the office or up town at all.  I called down that evening and he was still in bed and seemed to want to sleep or as you know was in a drowsy stupor which is characteristic of his disease.  Mrs. Brown called to me to come up and see him so when I went up found him feeling pretty well so he said and we talked about everything in general and really you wouldn't have taken him to be any worse than usual then.  He said he had been very sick during the night vomited and other than a nausea feeling he felt about the same as usual.  He asked me to get him a package in Wheeling as I was going down the next day, so when I came home, called down and he was sitting in the Parlor and was or seemed to me feeling fine.  He's been out driving most every day since.  Now Lucie will write and tell you hereafter all about him and do not think I was keeping anything from you because I didn't say much about your father for my dear had I known you had not heard any word from home for so long would certainly have kept you posted.  but really Lucie was not aware and do not think that your Father's case was or is alarming but you know none of us know what might happen any day with any of us, and if your Father only would gain in flesh and get stronger would feel so much more encouraged. but he does seem so cheerful on the street and when you are talking to him. and if he is not gaining do not think he is failing so am hoping he will continue to improve and will soon be himself again.

I have some news about the Auto again. It is really a shame that Mac has such bad luck but it is to funny too for After I got out at the Office on Sunday afternoon he took his wife and his mother who is visiting him and the Machinist who helped him get it fixed. out to Fairview for a ride.  The(y) were just in the act of turning it around when the engine went up with him. and he was compelled to walk back home and get his horse and 9" back for them.  Now isn't it a shame.  And you should see Mrs. Mac she takes it so good naturedly  Am afraid he has been duped by buying a second hand machine.  Think your folks have bought Jim's horse and you can have a good time when you come home taking us all out driving.  She is certainly a fine horse and has such good sense.  So you went to the Card Party and won the Prize.  Well, am not surprised as you had such good tutoring last winter.  Yes Lucie we will miss the fine games we all enjoyed last winter.

So you think I'm mistaken in saying "You owe me two letters.  Yes believe I am and should have said twenty two., Shouldn't I?

Yes we moved the Porcelain Offices down last week and George & I are trying to look after both of them.  Now Lucie we let Eric & Walter [?] both go.  Mr. Dyke secured his old Stenographer and she is worth a dozzan [sic] of both of them.  And you have heard from Mif [Mrs?] Ridgely.  Bert never says a word about her.  Am pleased to know she remembers me so you can tell her I wished to be remembered to her. and will look forward to her visit next summer.

Would like to see one of the Games of foot ball. presume they are quite interesting especially when you are connected with one of the team.  Presume Cincinnati be to Huntington like Pittsburg is to us up here.  Every one goes to Cin when going to the City.

Lucie there isnt much new here as you know nothing much happens to make news.  Our Organ man came in to see me this morning and I made out the subscription paper and he started out for subscriptions.  Just came in again and has over $300.00 on it already and it looks as though he will raise it all before evening So you see we may have the organ after all.

Now my dear hope you will excuse this scribbling as I am writing this in a hurry and hope you can make it out.  Can't say what my plans will be for a day or two yet but am looking forward to seeing you in the very near future so will say Good bye hoping I have explained everything satisfactory for the present and I sincerely hope my dear girl that you wont refrain from asking me for any information you may want from time and assure you for the bottom of my heart that I will be only to glad to enlighten you and hoping I will hear from you in the near future will say Goodbye as ever.  Affectionately Yours  Nat

P.S. Did you receive the "After Dinner Soda Mints"  Am mailing you a little blotter just received Think its appropriate this time.

  * * * * * * *
Other letters referenced or of related interest:


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album