Saturday, December 19, 2020

1983 GHU letter -Dec.18

 From the "found after the designated year" file, this letter was written shortly before Grandma and the Hortons and the rest of us went to Phoenix for Roberta & Sid's wedding.

Sun. 18th [Dec. 1983]

Dear family - 

My letter writing has some what been neglected lately.  Too many Christmas activities.  Cindy & Rob were here this afternoon with presents & a light supper.  They leave Tues. for Ind. to spend Christmas with her folks.  So we had a little Christmas while they were here.  Also Frances & John dropped in for a while.  Right now Mary joined the choir at 6 o'clock & they were to go out to sing Christmas Carols.  Bill just left to join them at a home where they will have a covered dish supper.  He took a pumpkin pie.

Last Fri. the Lions Club had their Christmas turkey dinner at the Congregational Church.  I was a guest & they had a very nice dinner program.  It rained all day & was fair when we came home.  But what a day & evening.  At least it was nice to get in the car in the garage & we were fortunate enough to park right at the entrance so didn't get wet.  

Last Fri. a lady from the L.W. Play House gave a Christmas Reading for the Literary program which was very good & then there was a tea afterward.  It seems as if there must always be refreshments.  Then you hear all the talk about dieting.

Sat. Larna had a party at the Park house for a couple who had been married for 50 years.  M. & Bill went.  I was invited but since I didn't even know them I didn't go.  Mary said more came than expected.  They served a lunch at 12.  I would say a dinner from what Mary said.  I guess it was a carry in by the guests for it seems as if the Hortons got cake.  This week the V.I.A. [?] tomorrow go to a nursing home to sing & then come back to the church to eat.  Mary goes to play for singing but I don't think I am going.  Wed. there is to be the Church Christmas program with a turkey dinner first.  We plan to attend that affair.  

We must begin to wonder what we will need in Phoenix.  This letter is for the family.  I should have written to you H. & Jean before you left but I don't get to things like I might.  If I have a room with more than the 1 bed one or more of the girls can room with me & that will be fine with me.  

Roberta, I hope things are shaping up for you & every one has a safe trip in traveling.  See you soon.

Love to all
Merry Christmas

Grandma

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album