Sunday, August 19, 2018

1998 Alice Nugent email -Aug.28



[Email from Alice Nugent, who went to library school with Jean, graduating in 1946, is only partially transcribed.  Mrs. Heene was landlady of the house where both HH and Jean lived in Cleveland.]

Dear Jean –

Interestingly enough, the message you sent me was dated May 29 – and out of my subconscious I recalled that that is Janet Heene's birthday.  Now how did I remember that?  Actually, Janet is a little older than I am if she is still living).  Her sister Nancy was in my 5th grade class at University Heights Elementary School in Tucson, AZ, and she's the one I knew best.  I believe they have a brother, but I don't recall his name.  By any chance are you in touch with any of the Heene family?  I believe remembering that you roomed at their house when you were in library school.

The ones from our class that I am in contact with are Mary Krichbaum, Dan and Virginia Hagelin, Agnes Higgs Williams (who now lives in Port Angeles WA), Effie Lee Morris Jones and Arlene Bernon Rosenberg.  I kept in touch with Luna Dawson until her death. 

Glad to hear that you're in touch with Lee Ackerman Noble and Lillian Plotkin Mulberg.  Maybe I can get more info from CWRU Alumni Office about who in our class is still living.  Too bad we didn't think of a reunion of our class back in 1996.

If I get to your area, I'll let you know.  Are you thinking of returning to the Pacific Northwest anytime soon?

Love, Alice

* * * * * * * * * *
From: Jean
To: Alice B. Nugent
Date: Friday, August 28, 1998
Subject:  Re: This and that

I had just checked our email & didn't find your letter but Harold a few minutes later found it – strange unless you wrote it at 4am.  anyway very glad to get your quick reply.  I didn't remember your acquaintance with the Heenes.  I had lost contact with them.  For some reason I think Nancy had died but not all sure of that.  Her brother died before I mored there – had Lou Gehrig's disease as I recall.    In fact Mrs. Heene had rented his room to someone of whom I was completely unaware when I moved in (until a phone call came for him.) 

That same room Harold later rented but we didn't start dating until months later after I moved out.  I got him a date with Mary Krickbaum's sister, Ruth for he said he heard the ideal girl was someone who had taught school for two years, no longer and Ruth fit that bill at the time.  When she went away for the summer he asked me for a date and the rest is history.

I remember Arlene B. well as I sat beside her in several classes of homeroom and we used to go to 105th together.  I've often wondered about her but had lost contact.  Agnes Higgins comes to mind but I didn't know her too well.

Lillian and I visited Harriet Long in Oberlin one time but didn't think she was still living for some reason.  I think I mentioned what nursing home she was in to you and it happened to be the same one your mother was in but you didn't know Miss Long was there.  I really adored her as a teacher as most of us in the childrens group did.

We did hear from Ruth Krichbaum a couple of years ago (she had broken her wrist).  She said she planned to retire and move back to Ohio but have heard nothing since.  No doubt Mary is retired now too.  They were from Canton or near that area and had a brother or two who were doctors in that area or New Philadelphia.

I'd love to hear more about our class and teachers as well.  Did enjoy getting your letter and sorry this is so long winded.  Let us keep in touch!

Love, Jean

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album