Saturday, August 11, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -Aug.19

". . . I don't get to go very many places . . .  --Roberta

8/19/78
Thursday aft.
Dear Family,

Did you notice the post-mark on this?????? [West Palm Beach]  And wonder what happened?????  Rob got a phone call on Tuesday -- saying that he had a teaching job in Florida -- 5th grade but that he needed to be there for screening by Friday and then would start to work on Monday.  So I decided -- since I don't get to go very many places that I would come down with him and then fly back -- but didn't realize then that I would just be spending the night here -- the best flight -- both money wise and otherwise is for me to leave here tomorrow at 7:40.

We left the farm after breakfast yesterday.  Took 206 South to I-95 and then just kept on going.  We did pull off the road just south of Savannah -- and slept awhile -- in the parking lot of a Holiday Inn.  Got in this afternoon about 1:00 -- good time.  We had a good trip -- took turns driving and all went well.

As it looks now I will leave the farm for New Vienna on Monday -- guess that would be the 28th.  I'll leave on Wednesday morning for the West.  I still have not heard from Marion as to whether she will be able to make the trip.  Have had quite a few cards from her on this trip, and she has enjoyed it very much, except for San Diego -- with us and there about 10 years ago she had never been to California.  They spent about 5 days with I.T.'s brothers – in Napa – or at least using that as a base.

I'm using Aunt Mary's new electric typewriter – its really nice – except for the fact that I'm not used to it.  Right now she is out getting her hair done – Rob is taking a shower – I just got done with one – sure felt good.  We did not use the air-conditioning all the way down.

G'ma plans to travel this fall – Sept. 5th – for about 2 weeks –

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album