Monday, December 21, 2015

1975 Roberta's India Letter -Dec.22

Dec. 22, 1975
Dear Grandma, Uncle Bill, Aunt Mary, & Rob ––

Hi!  Was sure great to get all  3  of your letters yesterday – finally was able to go & see the Mehta people – whose daughter goes to Wilmington College.

I'm really enjoying Bombay – so much I've found little time to send postcards or write letters – which though in a way is good because I didn't come over to do such things.  Bombay is very modern – alot of tall buildings here – people tend to dress & act more western – more time conscious.

I'm glad C.W. was able to spend Thanksgiving at my house – I spent it in a bus getting from Darjeeling to Calcutta.  Christmas I'll be here in Bombay w/ my friends I met in Delhi.  They are Hindu – not Christian but I think they still plan to celebrate somehow as they all plan to take off from work.

When I came over I had 3 pairs of long pants – now I've had 2 dresses made & wear them constantly  Find them so much cooler – also I seem to be treated w/ alot more respect.  There are alot of young people traveling here that look pretty BAD – dirty & ragged old clothes – most of them come from the U.S. or Europe.  They give the U.S. a bad name which is pretty sad.

I'm finding things pretty cheap here – unless I try to purchase the luxuries I'm accustomed too!  Food is especially cheap but full of starch!  I've been eating & staying w/ my friends here so that is really a nice change from hotels!  Being right near the sea we've had alot of fish.

Yesterday afternoon we went to see an American movie – the Poseidon Adventure – cost us 3 Rupees each (36¢).  Rob, have you seen it?

Any letters you can send here – then they can be forwarded on to me.

How was John's premier?  I feel bad about John – as I got him something just a few days before I left but in all my rushing forgot to send it.

I know you all will have a nice Christmas holiday w/Mares & Robert & C.W. there.  It's good that you all can get together – yes, I was quite surprised about Catherine going over to visit Joe but I'm glad she is going – it will be a trip I know she will enjoy!  Joe is such a good host!

Rob how is school – I often find it hard to believe that just a year ago I was down in Florida sweating it out in school.  I'll never forget statistics – and know you all won't either for awhile!

I'm getting along fine – please don't feel that I'm suffering in any way any.  I can't believe I've been here about 6 weeks now.  After the 1st of the year I plan to had south – it is suppose to have a special magic about it.

I think of you all alot & wish you the best in 1976.  Hopefully when I get back to the U.S. I'll have the $ to come to Fla for a short vacation before I settle down – OR – will I ever settle down?

Love, Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album