Monday, June 01, 2020

1970 Catherine's Letter -June 5


June 5, 1970
12:20 A.M.
Dear Mom, Dad, Serena, John, Mary,

Hi!  It was nice to get your latest letter with all the clippings, and good to talk to you occasionally.

I was accepted for 10 hours a week work in the college library.  At least it has been cleared with the business office and the library so I don't know what could change it unless lots of kids on scholarship suddenly decide they want to work in the library.  In the last week or so I have been doing some special parties for Saga, plus some money I've made subbing for other people, so my financial state isn't too bad -- those dividend checks help, too!  How do my finances stand at home, in case I do need some to fall back on?

Some other big news is that I will be living in a Co-Ed dorm this summer.  Severn Hall, formerly all upperclass men, is being divided into half and half.  I will be living in a suite with five other girls.  Having the Co-Ed dorm has been accepted as a summer experiment I'm just really glad I got in.

My eyes are getting so blurry I can't see much so I guess I'll go to bed.  Tomorrow is the last day of classes and I don't want to sleep through it!

You may not hear from me again until we are on the road, I'll try to send you a post card occasionally so you'll have some idea of my whereabouts.  Don't worry, if anything serious comes up I'll call.  We're pretty sure we can get a car going to either Oregon or California from "Drive-Away" in Detroit.  They have cars that need taken West.  We pay $100 deposit-insurance and when the car is delivered to its destination (within 7 days) we get the $100 back plus $25 or so for gas.  The same deal works for coming East.  We'll be leaving Wednesday noon.

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album