Sunday, June 14, 2020

1970 Catherine's Postcard to GHU -June 17



HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

June 17 [1970]
We finally made it to Oregon!  Yesterday we turned the car in at Eugene and then came up here to Portland where our friend David Stone lives.  Tuesday night we camped at a beautiful place called Cougar Reservoir which was about 10 miles back a dirt road into the mountains.  The mountains, the big tall pine trees, the water, and very few people made a quite pleasant combination -- spoiled only by the black gnats which forced us to sleep in the car.  

Today we plan to head over to the coast and then south on Rt. 101.  The problem is, Grandma, traveling isn't an end in itself, it only whets my appetite for more.  I guess that isn't a problem as long as I can do it so easily and cheaply.  I'm going to save my money this summer for a new sleeping bag.  A good light one costs around $75 but it would be worth it.

Love, Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album