Monday, June 15, 2020

1980 Roberta's Letter -June 17

Tuesday Evening
6-17-1980
Dear Family,

Hi!  Just hate it that you all are missing some of this Arizona summer weather -- 112º today -- and of all days I didn't turn the A.C. back on this morning.  Usually 1st thing I do when I get up is to turn off the A.C. and open up all the doors and windows -- for about 15 minutes.  Then if I can get by with it longer -- but at least let the air -- fresh air inside a little.  You can imagine how warm the house was when I got home from work.  And poor Buffy!!!!

Looks like things are shaping up for our Prescott trip.  I will get the van tomorrow night that we are to take.  The people from Mesa -- and East Mesa are to meet here at the house . . . 7:00 AM.  We are taking two vans from here -- one for people only -- and the other for our luggage . . . which is hard for me to believe  -- being that we will only be spending the one night there.  I plan to just take my small back-pack.  

Dad, I'm sorry that you weren't here to get Catherine's Father's Day card -- it didn't get here until today -- so I'm wondering why the mails are worse than usual.  I will be hand-delivering your present -- but in the meantime I'm using it alot out at work.  In fact, I like it so much I've ordered myself one.

I've been busy peeling grapefruit and oranges and freezing them.  Sectioning them off first.  Marion bought me three big boxes of grapefruit -- at least 48 to a box -- and nice size.  They were just $2 a box -- which is a great price -- especially when they are asking 3 for a $ now in the groceries.  They were beginning to get spoiled just being in the house.  What didn't fit in the refrig I've either frozen or eaten.  The sight of grapefruit is overwhelming whenever I open up the refrig.

The records got here in fine shape about 7:00 Monday night.  I had just gotten in from my Yoga class -- which I like very much.  Some of the postures (not called exercises) I can do really good -- others I have alot of trouble with.  They arrived in fine shape -- and I played some at the center today -- tomorrow they will be the program -- because the original one planned frizzled [sic] out.   Next week I'll get the words typed off and run off some copies and that will be good.

Oh, one of my seniors from work is coming in tomorrow night and will stay here while I'm in Prescott -- so that poor Buffy will have company.  She is the one that came in the night of Marion's party for Cary's retirement party.  I don't know who I will get for July when I come to New Vienna.  The one coming tomorrow night will be going to Wisconsin for most of July and August.  She is 73 and taking driving lessons.  Her husband died just last year and she never knew how to drive.

I've been looking at Microwaves -- would be nice to have one -- now that we have enough counter space for one.  They seem to come with so many more features now days.  I'm interested in cooking my meat and veggies without heating up the house . . . and the time element.  Actually, as long as I'm in school -- between tuition and books the money continues to go out!!!

I better be getting ready for bed.  Will let you know about the conference in Prescott -- hello to everyone and a special tribute -- belated for Dad on Father's day -- and throughout the year!!!!  Sorry you missed our Father's Day program at work -- but I more than understand your not coming -- and besides I'm looking forward to getting home this summer -- looks like July 19th or 20th -- depending if I get someone to take care of Buffy.

Really enjoy my country swing class -- 60 people in it --

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album