Sunday, December 03, 2006

Catherine Uible Morgan and Wendy Jean Morgan


I ran across this photo of mother and daughter - I think it was the one that Catherine had requested that I post on the blog.

This was a photo taken shortly before the famous trip Wendy Jean, her great-grandmother and I took across Canada. The assumption is that the photo was taken in the Morgan Oregon house - but Catherine didn't seem TOO sure. Anyway, the trip was when Wendy Jean was 6 (and her great grandmother was 92 or 94), so it was 23 years ago. (That was also the trip that Mary Virginia was originally supposed to go on, but she begged off because of a summer supervisory job at the Wilmington YMCA. Grandma had already told Roberta that now that she was married, she should stay home and take care of her husband instead of gallivanting around the country.)

Speaking of WENDY JEAN . . . Catherine didn't answer her phone when I called her about 3 p.m. and she hasn't called back, so I'm assuming that they have gone to the hospital. (When I talked to her about 1:00, they were waiting for the call.) In some ways this time would probably be less convenient as if it takes a while for KC3 to make an actual appearance, it could be a late night. On the other hand, 4:30 a.m. is rather early, even for early risers like the Morgans. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Catherine Uible Morgan said...

Catherine said...
Gee, Serena, I missed the part of your message that said "call me back". I did appreciate your leaving your full name just in case lots of other Serenas called us while we were either 1) walking to Lowe's and back or 2) going to Trader Joe's & Safeway. The picture -- which I love as it shows Wendy looking very exuberant and me looking half way decent -- would have been taken at our house in Colfax, WA. The way I figure it, Grandma, who was born in 1892, was 85 years older than Wendy, so depending on the time of year which I believe was summer 1985 or 1986, Grandma would have turned 93 in June of 1985 and Wendy would have been 7.

Serena said...

Catherine . . . I just assumed that you would be sitting by the phone waiting for your favorite daughter to call. So if you weren't there, I assumed you'd be on your way to Baptist Baby Home.

Oregon/Washington - they're both out there in there in the vague vicinity of California/Idaho.

My main memory of the trip was Wendy maintaining that she was "not a child, but a pre-teen" and Grandma calling her "girlie" - which didn't set very well with Wendy Jean.

Should I have spelled the name?

Catherine Uible Morgan said...

Serena, I hope I have been spelling your name right all these years and I'm even fair at voice recognition or at least making assumptions based on the message! Never hurts to "spell it out" though! And I am getting older....

Items from Uible photo album