Monday, April 01, 2019

1969 Catherine's Letter -Mar.31

Monday, March 31, 1969

Dear Mother, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John, and Mary,

Hi!  Today I went through the process of being hired.  Ugh!  I'm glad I don't have to go through that every day.  Tomorrow morning I report for training at 8:45 - 5:15.  That runs through Friday.  And then Saturday will be my first day on the job.  I'll work then 9:00-6.  I'll be working in what is called the Young Chicago shop.  It has expensive suits and dresses for the college-aged.  It should all prove interesting.  There are millions of details I could tell you but rather than write I think I'll wait until I see you.  Gerti and I went in together this morning.  We were to be there at 8 so we left here about 7:15 and got there about 10 minutes early.  She is doing (or going to do) some sort of clerical work for Customer Service.  I haven't seen her since about 9 when she went to take the typing test.  The personnel manager of the apparel division talked to me for about an hour, I filled out a bunch of forms, had a doctor approve me medially and was told when and where to report tomorrow.  I was out of there by one.  On the way home I stopped and got my public library card.  When I was there the other day they had the book Preserve and Protect by Drury which I have been waiting for a couple of years to read but today it wasn't on the shelf so I got another book instead.  I've been working on my German some, in addition to reading the book, and writing to Bob.  I talked to him on the phone again Saturday night.  By now he should be in Bethesda.  I hope he got there OK.

In addition to the rubbing alcohol, toothpaste, vanilla, we can can also use some powdered milk, pictures to hang on the wall -- or rather tape to the wall, some containers to keep left-overs in.  Do you have any pot pie pans?  An apron would come in handy, and I could use a new jr. legal pad if there's one around.  I think I have a supply of postcards in one of the desk drawers.  I could use about 20 or so of them.  anything else you can think of in the line of food or otherwise will be much appreciated.

We've been doing a pretty good job of cooking for ourselves so far.  Yesterday for our big Sunday dinner we had pork chops, broccoli, baked potatoes, salad and butterscotch pudding for dessert.  Most of our meals aren't quite that elaborate but we won't starve.

Saturday we went to the Field Museum and the Aquarium.  Gerti hadn't been to either one before.  They are within very close distance.  In fact we can see the museum from the window.  We've driven through Old Town a couple of times with Rich.  It's been so cold though -- it wasn't nearly as lively as it was last summer.  Dad, we also went by the place we ate with those people.  When we walked to work this morning the temperature was 16º but when I came back it had warmed up to 26º.  I hope April brings warmer weather -- it's got to.

We could probably use some baking powder and baking soda if you've got a little to spare.  I want to make some cookies for Bob.

Love,
Catherine

P.S. Kleenex, envelopes (jack envelopes will do).

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album