Tuesday, April 09, 2019

1969 Catherine Letter -Apr.8


Room 425, Town House Hotel
1229 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois  60605
Tuesday, April 8, 1969
Dear Mother, Dad, Roberta, Serena, John, and Mary,

Hi!  I hope you all made it home OK.  It was nice you could spend your vacation here -- Gerti and I certainly appreciated everything.

Today I finished my second day in the paperback books section.  I like it there real well -- I just need a map to find my way around.  All the books are categorized according to publisher -- and there are so many . . . .  The ladies I work with are all older but they're helpful and I couldn't ask for nicer people to work with.  Mainly I help people find books, I take telephone orders -- people who want a certain book charged to their account and sent out to them or special orders.  Today I spent about all my "extra" time straightening out the cookbooks and health type books.  The cash register wasn't too hard to master and I'm fast learning what 5% of about anything is.

Tomorrow is my day off.  Pete is coming in to town and we'll probably think of something to do.  We could walk up through old town -- I'm not sure if he's been there or not.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow but maybe it'll blow over or something.

You all made a real impression on the hotel management.  One guy has been kidding me now on when my brother is going to come to live with us.  John, I should have your stamps in a couple days.

I got a letter from Bob today.  Did you remember to send him the cookies?  Thanks.  The letter I got was just mailed yesterday -- so that's pretty quick mail service.

Hope Roberta, Serena, and John hadn't been away from school so long they forgot how to study or anything.  It sounds like a really hard life!

Write soon!

Love, Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album