Tuesday, April 27, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -Apr.17

 

April 17, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  Hope you are all fine . . . .  Got your post card yesterday mailed the 12th of the month.  Thanks alot.  Glad you all got my letter and also my grades.  I was quite happy with them myself.  I also got another letter yesterday that I wasn't too happy about.  When I got my physical I had this insurance form from the college that I thought would pay for the blood tests.  Well, the doctor took it and took some ten dollars off my bill but this letter I got yesterday was from the insurance company and it politely said they did not pay for blood tests when there is no certain illness so I imagine I will be getting a letter from the doctor very soon.  Besides that everything is just fine.

Having my own room is quite nice . . . the night before I gave my speech I was up giving it to myself and Mary's cassette player.  I had it almost memorized but then when I got up there I just barely remembered the introduction -- which was "YOU SCREAM, I SCREAM, WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM . . . ."  I told the history of ice cream, ingredients, varieties, etc.  I got a "B" on it.  One speech down and three more to go.  The next one will be an entertaining type of speech and will be week after next.  I don't know now whether I would rather take a test or give a speech.

Either this afternoon or tomorrow I am going to have some "big wheel" stay in my room from Oregon University.  Or rather University of Oregon.  The woman is to stay three days.  She is to have something to do with Sociology.  I sure hope that now that I have a room to myself I won't be having guests all the time -- I really don't think so.  At least this way I got my room all cleaned up -- I am gong to be spoiled having two desks . . . .

I haven't heard anything new from U.C.  What did Joe say about me going there???

Had a long letter today from Aunt Mary.  She said that Melissa called them up long distance last Sunday.  And that she is to go over there July 5th.

I am all caught up with my civilizations.  Did some 16 pages of it last night.  WOW!!!!  And that was only for one day -- last Wednesday . . . sure am glad that class only meets twice a week.  Right now we are on Karl Marx, his theories, etc.  Then we had to tell the inconstancies of them, etc.  Strain my BRAIN . . . .

Thursday some woman called me up from the Methodist Church about teaching.  I told her I would but I will only be here until June.  She said that she understood that.  So, Thursday night I went to the class for the Sunday School teachers.  It is being taught by one of the teachers here.  His name is Salisbury.  He used to be a Missionary, work with kids with drugs, etc. . . .  The class was very interesting . .  I am going to try to go as long as I can.  If I do teach I will only be helping this one woman.  I don't know about this week -- tomorrow.

All of my classes are going fine.  Wore my wig yesterday.  Got alot of compliments on it.  It does look close to natural.

Right now I've got about 70 old Holiday magazines in my book shelf.  Would have them on the floor but since that woman is coming -- thought I would put them up.  Got them on the library throw away table.  Pam and I usually make a big haul every time we go in the library.  And we usually go in for that purpose.  We are really doing the library a big service by taking them . . . .  These start with the year 1938 up to 1966.  There are also a few Life magazines.  Do you think we could get any money from them if we took them into Portland?  The trouble is that most of these are not in that good of shape.

Well, I better be going.  Hope everything is fine.  How is Wiggles???  Write when you can . . . .

Love,
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album