Saturday, April 24, 2021

1971 Catherine's Letter -Apr.14


 April 14, 1971

Dear Mom and Dad,

Hi!  Hope you are recovering from culture shock, time changes and whatever else you might be subject to, without too much difficulty.  I'm anxious to hear/see about what you and Joe did.

Fight now I'm overly tired but I'm trying to stay awake because sometime between 10 and 11 P.M. (right now it's 10:15) we are to have a fire drill.

April 15, 1971

The alarm went off right then and I went to bed directly afterwards.

The end appears to be coming to my four years at Kalamazoo College.  Everyone seems to be getting more and more anxious and at the same time more apprehensive about what comes next.  I know a few people who are going on to grad school and one girl who has a job.  But most of the rest are looking for anything.  Since I sort of have next year already planned I'm more worried about getting out of here.

What's the latest concerning Marianne's wedding?  Did you say I was to fly down on Wednesday?  When and how are you going?  How long are you going to stay?  I might be able to work at the library the last week in June but I would have to fly back in order to do that which would cost as much or more than I would make.  I don't gain any money even by hitch-hiking though.  Am I supposed to pay for the dress?

Actually, my financial status is pretty good at the moment if you can pay for my tuition next year.  I figure it will cost about $1700 +/- $100.  Right now I have $730 in my saving account here and by the end of the quarter it should be up to $900.  Part of that I plan to spend this summer and the rest should go for books and any other larges expenses I have next year.  (Large is anything over $10.)  As for living expenses we have that budgeted out already.  We'll each be working 15 hrs/week at $2.00 an hour which will give us $60 a week.  Judging from our expenses of last quarter we figure $15 for food, $5-car, $5-heating oil, $4-telephone, $5 elec & water, $11-misc. and $15 to a savings account.

I just got my second post card from you in the morning mail.  It seems strange to be writing to you in New Vienna when I'm getting post cards from Africa.

Things are looking up for our summer trip to Maine.  We hope to leave the end of July.

School is going terribly.  I like the econ class but I'm not that thrilled with much else.  I try to study as much as I can and trick my mind so I don't get depressed and hope that somehow I'll live through the next month & a half. (after comps it's all down hill).

I want to wash my hair and take a bath now so I better get a move on.

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album